Notices

The Little Red Book

Old 08-14-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Little Red Book

The Little Red Book - Google Books

The Little Red Book was written by Ed Webster with alot of input from Dr Bob. I hear many say that they need no other guide than the Big Book. And I do respect that, but to get input from others is a great help to me. Your thoughts?

Last edited by navysteve; 08-14-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Well Steve, I do my best to practice a simple program, so my response to this might be a little more simple than you'd like.

Yes, I'll agree that the Steps are in the Big Book and before the LRB was written, obviously there were plenty of folks who took the Steps from the BB and stayed sober. I've even heard oldtimers tell newcomers to get a Big Book and just do the Steps as they're suggested, that's all they'll need. Years ago, and I'm sure even now, people who don't have easy access to meetings would order the BB, do the Steps themselves, and achieve long-term sobriety. They were known as "loners".

But.....

When I take a newcomer through the Steps, we read the Big Book but I use the LRB as a guide to explain it further. Why? I see the LRB as a guide to the Steps in the BB, it explains them in depth and gives me several ways of looking at the Steps. It helps clarify them for a simple-minded drunk like me.

Anyway, that's the way I see it. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My god I have been in AA for 4 years and I have never even heard of this. Any links to an online copy of this book? Where do they sell them? Not at any of my AA meetings that for sure.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I posted a link to it on my opener:

Alcoholics Anonymous Archival and Historical Materials Part 1

Here is a study guide:

The Little Red Book Study Guide - Google Books

A little something about the author- it mentions another famous AA book called Stools and bottles:

Ed Webster and The Little Red Book

This and the twenty four hour a day book were both staples of many AA groups. Even Bill said in a letter that he never intended for AA to become the police force of what is to be read at a meeting. There was no concept like Conference approved literature. Bring a 24 hour a day book into many groups and you will be strung up. My old home group allowed me to be the literature rep for awhile, when I brought this book many were upset. When I educated them that this was a book that pre-dates the 12 and 12 and was partially authored by Dr Bob they settled down. It is a great accompaniment to the Big Book
Old 08-14-2009, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I have both books have had them and read them for years.

They are available at Hazelden:

Hazelden -- Stools and Bottles Hardcover

Hazelden -- The Little Red Book Collection

Love and hugs,
Old 08-14-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I have them both,and I bought them both at a AA meeting years ago,my home group

they both offer some good perspectives on the steps

my home group still carries and uses the 24 hour a day book too
Old 08-14-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think I've ever seen nor heard much about the Little Red Book.

I'm liking this reading Steve.

Drunks who try to get sober by mechanically following all conference pronouncements to the letter will find that there is no magical rule book anywhere which will allow people to heal their spiritual problems by blindly obeying hundreds and thousands of rules. People who try that are seeking the "easier, softer way" that never works, and refusing to take full adult responsibility for their own behavior and its consequences.

William James noted that the human race requires a variety of different kinds of religious experience, because different people are of different psychological types...
-- Glenn C.
And a whole bunch of very interesting things in there about both sides of the many issues we face today.

It's kind of like peeking back on the history of the Muslim and the Christian world and seeing too much and saying... "Shame on both of you! Let's just get along, shall we?"
Old 08-14-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by navysteve View Post
I posted a link to it on my opener:

Alcoholics Anonymous Archival and Historical Materials Part 1

Here is a study guide:

The Little Red Book Study Guide - Google Books

A little something about the author- it mentions another famous AA book called Stools and bottles:

Ed Webster and The Little Red Book

This and the twenty four hour a day book were both staples of many AA groups. Even Bill said in a letter that he never intended for AA to become the police force of what is to be read at a meeting. There was no concept like Conference approved literature. Bring a 24 hour a day book into many groups and you will be strung up. My old home group allowed me to be the literature rep for awhile, when I brought this book many were upset. When I educated them that this was a book that pre-dates the 12 and 12 and was partially authored by Dr Bob they settled down. It is a great accompaniment to the Big Book
Thanks for these links Steve. I have to admit that I am not real familiar with The Little Red Book. I will have to check it out, especially since I see that Bill Pittman had something to do with the 50th anniversary edition. Bill was a great AA historian. I used to have a copy of "Stools and Bottles."

I agree about the Conference Approved literature. I've seen groups shout the chairperson down when they read from "The Language of The Heart." That book is put out by The GrapeVine and the The GrapeVine is not conference approved.

I used to go to an 11th Step meeting where the group's conscience allowed the chair person to use non-AA material. There were some good meetings where Emmett Fox's "Sermon On The Mount" was used. And there a few where the subject material was a little out there and new-agey. And there were a few times that some rigid stick-up-his-you-know-what old-timer got all up in arms and left. Oh well.

I might be an orthodox AA, but that doesn't mean that I buy the conference approved party line never question anything nod your head sheep approach either.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi all,

The Little Red Book is right next to our BB at my home-group. Ed Webster was a member of the Nicollet Group in Mpls. which is my homegroup. Go figure. This group also had something to do with starting the AA groups up North and into Canada is my understanding. Our older members are extremely proud of their history. Coming into this group 11 months ago was the best thing that ever happened to me. In my group alone we must have over 500+ years sobriety. I may think at times that their way is old fashioned, but it works for me and I'm still sober and working on the 'contented' part of it now!
Old 08-15-2009, 04:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Amy wasn't your group the first in AA history to buy its own Alano club?

I heard it was some place in Mpls MN that did that.