Notices

That Statement Hit Me Hard.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alcoholic

Thumbs up That Statement Hit Me Hard.

That statement hit me hard. It melted the icy intellectual mountain in whose shadow I had lived and shivered many years. I stood in the sunlight at last. (BB pg 12)
I wonder how many other people have had a particular statement 'hit them hard'. If you have, please post it here!

Here are some examples from the Bigbook:

"Why don't you choose you own conception of God?" Bill W pg 12

"Who are you to say there is no God?" Fitz M pgs 56 & 215

"No one among us has been able to maintain anything like perfect adherence to these principles." FLOODED WITH FEELING pg 373

"We cannot live with anger" WOMEN SUFFER TOO pg 206

Copyright:AAWS

Last edited by CarolD; 07-13-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Added source per SR guidelines
Old 07-13-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Alcoholic

Smile Change The End Of The Story!

The life changing paragraph that I read was from a new story added to the BB in the forth edition. It is called "Safe Haven". It is the last paragraph in that story. pg 457

From experience, I've realized that I cannot go back and make a brand-new start. But through A.A., I can start from now and make a brand-new end.
I knew I was going down a drunk. I was only attending AA to try and keep my drinking down to a minimum roar and I certainly wasn't going to give up pot. After reading the above paragraph, I realized that just maybe, if I did all in my power, I could change the end of my story.

I have been clean and sober ever since!

Copyright:AAWS

Last edited by CarolD; 07-13-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Added source per SR guidelines
Old 07-13-2009, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In early sobriety....my brain was so saturated with alcohol
I could not retain much nor follow the daily meetings...

Over the podium was a large sign....

Keep Coming Back
It Works!

I did ...it did and does.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

but we are not a glum lot. we absolutely insist on living lives that are happy, joyous and free.

we will intuitively know how to handle situations that used to baffle us.

not sure of exact wording, but these thoughts were, and continue to be, inspiring to my sobriety.

Quotes and paraphrases BB 1st Edition.

Last edited by CarolD; 07-13-2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added source per SR guidelines
Old 07-13-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The entire story about the jay walker hit me like a ton of bricks and made me realize how insane my behavior was.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

So many statements have stuck with me, but most recently my boyfriend illuminated multiple 'areas in need of progress' and i'm so thankful. I find any reflectory statements about my own actions and thought process to be extraordinarily helpful, especially coming from someone I care so deeply for. Also, the way he phrased it was beautiful, something along the lines of: "I knew these flaws about you for a while now, and I'm still crazy about you." The blow of being scorned was tamed by his passion, but I still cannot help but be really hit by the truth in what he said. I feel inspired to tweak my ways.

Oh also I love the statement: life's a garden, dig it. Always reminds me to find the positive in everything.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

"We have found much of heaven, and we have been rocketed into a fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed." Page 25

I wanted that.

I found someone else for whom that line held great meaning (who'd been "hit hard" by it), and because of our mutual love for it and for each other, it was printed on the bottom of our wedding invitations.

Peace & Love,
Sugah

BB Quote-1st. Edition

Last edited by CarolD; 07-13-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Added source per SR guidelines
Old 07-13-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
"We have found much of heaven, and we have been rocketed into a fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed." Page 25
What is the "fourth dimension of existence?" A lot of folks gloss right over what Bill called the fourth dimension of existence. It's in the Big Book!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
The entire story about the jay walker hit me like a ton of bricks and made me realize how insane my behavior was.
brings it right in to focus dont it...

i used to think that not drinking was just a case of having the will power to sit and white knuckle it through the seemlessly endless mental torment of living without booze.

then on the first page i read or it was pointed out to me that i could RECOVER....That and dr silkworths letters gave me alot of hope.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music View Post
What is the "fourth dimension of existence?" A lot of folks gloss right over what Bill called the fourth dimension of existence. It's in the Big Book!
It's the realm of the spirit we get to enter, it's a mighty fine place to experience this life from.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The fourth dimension is the here and now.

"There is One who has all power-that One is God. May you find Him NOW."

Big Book references from Alcoholics Anonymous, First Edition
Old 07-14-2009, 02:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"I was soon to be catapulted into what I like to call the fourth dimension of existence. I was to know happiness, peace, and usefulness, in a way of life that is incredibly more wonderful as time passes."

From Bill's story in the Big Book.
`at. edition

Last edited by CarolD; 07-14-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Added source per SR guidelines
Old 07-14-2009, 03:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Most of us sense that real tolerance of other people's shortcomings and viewpoints and a respect for their opinions are attitudes which make us more useful to others. Our very lives, as ex-problem drinkers, depend upon our constant thought of others and how we may help meet their needs.

BB pages 19-20

I will spend the rest of my sober life trying to live this. It is one of the goals of my spiritual life. I don't care that I will never perfect it. I want this!

Though our decision was a vital and crucial step, it could have little permanent effect unless at once followed by a strenuous effort to face, and to be rid of, the things in ourselves which had been blocking us. Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions.

BB page 64

I am so glad that my sponsor read that to me after we made the decision. We did not read page by page through the Big Boook and discuss it, he lead me through the third step prayer then read that little tidbit to me.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Keep coming back!

"It works - it really does." pg. 88 Alcoholics Anonymous

The shortest paragraph in the Big Book. As time goes on, this sentence, paragraph, becomes truer and truer for me.

GREAT thread. Keep up the good work!

BB Quote-1st. Edition

Last edited by CarolD; 07-14-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Added source per SR guidelines
Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I remember the first time I heard

"After all our problems were of our own making. Bottles were only a symbol. Besides, we have stopped fighting anybody or anything. We have to!"

The other one was from the 24 hours a day book. I read it on a plane. "Fear is a form of pride". Boom!

BB Quote-1st. Edition

Last edited by CarolD; 07-14-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Added source per SR guidelines
Old 07-14-2009, 08:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"He made up his mind to quit drinking altogether. It never occured to him that perhaps he could not do so, in spite of his character and standing." -- "He was positive that his humiliating experience, plus the knowledge he had acquired, would keep him sober the rest of his life. Self knowledge would fix it"
pp 39.

As we know ~ Fred soon ended up in the hospital again. For a long time I went to AA meetings and did some step work, but not once did I get a full understanding that my resolve, knowledge of consequences we of absolutely no use in recovering. I figured I hadn't "tried" hard enough.

BB Quote-1st. Edition

Now I would say that giving up makes much more sense.

Last edited by CarolD; 07-14-2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Added source per SR guidelines
Old 07-14-2009, 10:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

BB Quote-1st. Edition

Last edited by CarolD; 07-14-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Added source per SR guidelines
Old 07-14-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

"If a mere code of morals or a better philosophy of life were sufficient to overcome alcoholism, many of us would have recovered long ago." BB, 1st Ed.

Whoops. Explained why I couldn't just work myself out of the problem. Why I couldn't just try to be better.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Everyone

Please remember to follow this guideline

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...opyrights.html

Otherwise....your reply will be removed.
I have corrected the shares already posted.

Thank you....

Carol D-Forum Leader
Alcoholism 12 Step Support
Alcoholism
Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Thanks for the reminder, Carol, and the assistance. I'll try to be good

Peace & Love,
Sugah