"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely,
or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take,
you are probably alcoholic. If that be the case, you may be
suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will
conquer."

~Alcoholics Anonymous, 1st Edition, We Agnostics, pg. 44~
Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My Spiritual experience happened at about six months not drinking. I was in the military and away from my sponsor, my home group and all the meetings I'd been attending up to that point. I was in Pennsylvania and felt alone. I called the AA office there and was told there were no meetings in my area and no one to pick me up. I was staying in a motel so I got on the elevator to go to my room. I was scared so on the way up I said a prayer. I just told my higher power that I was scared and that I didn't know what to do. I got to my room, got undressed for a shower, put on my robe and laid down on the bed with my Big Book and a tape of Johnny H. in my cassette player. The next thing I knew, I was awake, it was morning and I've never had the urge to drink since. That was over 36 years ago.

Since then, I've realized that a Spiritual experience can pretty much be anything I want it to be. I can look at nature, a flock of geese flying over, a new born deer, hear someone say something at a meeting that touches me, or be at mass and feel God's Spirit in a special way. I remember feeling some of these feelings even when I was drinking which tells me that God had been, and still is, always with me. I just have to look.