Notices

Seeing therapist

Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeing therapist

I had my first appointment with my substance abuse and mental health therapist today. We are going to work on my anger issues. She is also in recovery been sober 11 years. I feel good about this going to meet every other week. She is a certified CAC I therapist. She already gave me some homework to read on resentments and anger and a worksheet to complete.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I wasn't open to a sponsor.... just wasn't willing, I suppose. God sent a therapist to me (well, sent me to her actually) and she too was in recovery (around 12 yrs or so when we started).

Absolutely NO QUESTION......she saved my a$$. I know, it's a God-job....but sometimes God moves through people and there's no doubt in my mind that's what happened.

She took me through the steps....challenged the hell out of me......and probably got me to do some things a sponsor wouldn't have been successful in getting me to do.

The work we did wasn't necessarily "out of the AA book" but it was just what I needed.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good for you, Anoronha! I think any investment we make in ourselves is well worth it.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think seeing a therapist is great. AA isn't meant to take the place of a health care professional. It was a caring therapist whom I saw from September through December of last year that influenced me to go to AA; I did so Nov 5 and haven't drank since!! I saw her a few more times, but once I quit drinking, and really started working the steps, I found I didn't need her any longer. I remain very grateful that I had her help when I needed it!!
Old 05-20-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I dunno ive been recieving services from a mental health network i kinda want to tell them that ive been off the anti depressents two weeks after they gave it to me but ve been hesitant to tell them because ill be cut off from other services such as group therapy and i hate it when people use aa for therapy. I just use group as a dumping ground of my problems