Notices

Sexual predators (or predators of any type) in AA.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
I, for one, am not going to risk my safety by shrugging off vulgarity as a 'horny' man. You're right bugs, there is a huge distinction - and unless one sees that line being crossed, it would be easy to dismiss sexual innuendo as simply that. Can you tell by looking at someone whether they are horny or dangerous? I cannot.
Either behavior is obnoxious, disrespectful, and uncalled for. I am with Rowan on this one, I can't tell the difference by looking at them. All one has to do is watch the news and it doesn't take long for it to become clear that most predators look just like ordinary people and people that know them are amazed when they find out the truth because "Joe, he was such a nice guy, he went to church every Sunday, helped coach the girls soccer team, he was great with kids" duh, that is because he has to be to get by with it for so long. They are rarely the ones with beady eyes, wild hair, grungy clothes, etc.... That is how they get by with doing what they do for so long
Old 03-14-2008, 03:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Smile

THOUGHTS ON WHY THERE IS A PROBLEM: Predators are everywhere. They are in our AA meetings, our schools, our churches (yes, personal experience taught me this one at an early age), our work places, our jails, our grocery stores, etc.... Sometimes they are even in our own homes. AA in that respect is no different. People don't come into AA because they are healthy, sane, and happy individuals. I can look at myself and know that to be true. We also have the court systems dumping people into AA (although sometimes this has saved people's lives by introducing them to AA). Not everyone who comes in through the court system or treatment system is there with their primary purpose to get and stay sober. I have to keep in mind that some people that come into AA already sick are sick enough not to do the work to get healthier and use it as their personal hunting ground.
There are Predators in the LAPD system. I know this as a fact. Sad but true.
But I'm not going to 'not' go to the Police station if I need the help of a cop.
That would be silly.
If I needed AA, I would go to AA, just as well.
That's my opinion on the matter. No one on this planet is going to stop ME from getting the help I need to get, no matter where it is, no matter what type the system is.
I may as well reserve myself to just dying now if I am going to let others stop me from getting the help I need. :atv

There's A Hole In My Sidewalk

Chapter One

I walk down a street and there's a big hole. I don't see it and fall into it. It's dark and hopeless and it takes me a long time to find my way out. It's not my fault !

Chapter Two

I walk down the same street. There's a big hole and I can see it, but I still fall in. It's dark and hopeless and it takes me a long time to get out. It's still not my fault.

Chapter Three

I walk down a street. There's a big hole. I can see it, but I still fall in. It's become a habit. But I keep my eyes open and get out immediately. It is my fault.

Chapter Four

I walk down a street. There's a big hole. And I walk around it.

Chapter Five

I walk down a different street.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I try very hard to not make sweeping generalizations. I take it on a case by case basis.

I keep my side of the road clean and try to help others when I honestly can.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

F.y.i.

You all may be interested to know that this very issue was discussed and will be brought up again at the General Service Conference. That tells me that enough of us are aware of the problem to want to bring it to the conference.
Jim
Old 03-14-2008, 04:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
You all may be interested to know that this very issue was discussed and will be brought up again at the General Service Conference. That tells me that enough of us are aware of the problem to want to bring it to the conference.
Jim
Thanks Jim. I am glad to know that. Hopefully they will find a solution that works.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That is interesting Jim....seems it will be a hard nut to crack....no pun intended...
Old 03-14-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post
That is interesting Jim....seems it will be a hard nut to crack....no pun intended...
:rotfxkoThanks Bugs, good way to lighten up a heavy thread. I appreciate it.
:rof
Old 03-14-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My pleasure nandm...lol
Old 03-14-2008, 08:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

i was in a rehab in nyc
circa 89', 90
i remember there was a guy and gal who got close
but
there was this other girl that was very friendly
so i joked with her one night
and
she said, "i don't flirt, i fraternize"
explaining her college days

so, switch to the wikitionary
fraternity
From Wiktionary
Jump to: navigation, search
Contents [hide]
1 English
1.1 Noun
1.1.1 Synonyms
1.1.2 Antonyms
1.1.3 Translations
1.1.3.1 Translations to be checked
1.1.4 Related terms
1.1.5 See also

[edit] English
Wikipedia has an article on:
Fraternity

[edit] Noun
Singular
fraternity
Plural
uncountable

fraternity (uncountable)

the quality of being brothers; brotherliness.
a group of people associated for a common purpose.
(US) a social organization of male students at a college or university; usually identified by Greek letters.

[edit] Synonyms
brotherhood

[edit] Antonyms
disfavor
Dutch (cognate with Old English žeod "community, homeland, nation")
in Dutch with the boss

[edit] Translations
the quality of being brothers[show ▼]
Romanian: fraternitate f.

group of people associated for a common purpose[show ▼]

sorority
From Wiktionary
Jump to: navigation, search
Contents [hide]
1 English
1.1 Etymology
1.2 Noun
1.2.1 Related terms
1.2.2 Translations
1.2.2.1 Translations to be checked

[edit] English

[edit] Etymology
From Latin soror a sister.

[edit] Noun
Singular
sorority
Plural
sororities

sorority (plural sororities)

a sisterhood
(US) a social organization of female students at a college or university; usually identified by Greek letters.
eg Alpha Chi Omega
a group of girls or women associated for a common purpose.

[edit] Related terms
fraternity

[edit] Translations
a sisterhood[show ▼]
Finnish: sisarkunta

a social organization of female students at a college or university[show ▼]
Finnish: naisopiskelijoiden yhdistys

a group of girls or women associated for a common purpose

now, if you got this far, i can't ever remember being at a meeting, sitting there, and "he's a ........"
you can come to brooklyn,
go to any meeting i've been to
and
i have never even went so far as to ask a female out for coffe after the meeting
i've been invited with the group
and
what is the 13th step?
aren't there only 12

this thread is a little too wild for me
and
maybe you guys are watching too much sci-fi channel
Old 03-14-2008, 08:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I couldnt read threw all of the post but yes I totally agree with Nan!!! And Damn good thread btw!!!!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

could some post personal experiences
what do these people look like
and
how do they behave?
are they the ones in raincoats with no......................................
Old 03-14-2008, 10:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fraankie View Post
could some post personal experiences
what do these people look like
and
how do they behave?
are they the ones in raincoats with no......................................
Fraankie, the reality is if you have read through the responses on the thread then your questions would be answered. There is no point in responding by repeating the experiences that have already been expressed. Also the question about how they behave and what they look like has also been addressed in the responses to the thread. Please take the time to read the responses and you will find you will have less questions. Thank you.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:09 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
Personally, I saw a much higher concentration of the behavior described above as 'predatory' when I lived on a college campus. It was MUCH more rampant, but somehow it was accepted because everyone was in college.

This might be the case, but I am not sure that doesn't minimize the problem at a recovery meeting.
It is highly inappropriate to be "hitting on" someone in a recovery group setting. IMO
Old 03-15-2008, 04:32 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovingseren View Post
This might be the case, but I am not sure that doesn't minimize the problem at a recovery meeting.
It is highly inappropriate to be "hitting on" someone in a recovery group setting. IMO
It was more of a response to a post that AA has a higher concentration of this type of behavior than other settings, which I haven't found to be the case.

To imply that you are going to find this kind of behavior in AA more than you would the positive things I have found in AA is just not accurate. It doesn't give an accurate picture of the recovery that AA offers when someone says that all you are going to find is a room full of men stalking you, or women to make you feel afraid of the men in the group.

Personally, I do not make too much conversation with women at meetings, just general chit chat "Hello, how are you?"... I know the stigma that could be attached if I was to be found fraternizing with another member in or outside of a meeting. I try to make the women feel comfortable by giving them a lot of space.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:35 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

the GSC cannot and will not do anything about it but maybe put out a article in some aa publication

this is a problem we all must solve for ourselves.If they tryed to solve it,it would lead to them governing over us,and then it would cause more trouble.We police ourselves..to sit back and wait on someone else to solve our problems would be ir-responsible.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

sug, I do believe from my experience that there is a greater chance of me being "hit on" at aa than in the grocery store, work or church. Maybe since you are not a woman it is something that you don't see. I am in no way saying that this is a reason not to seek help if you need it, but it is a reality in the rooms. To compare a college campus to a recovery group is not quite fair. First of a college campus is full of teenagers and early 20 somethings...parties often trump studies....nature of that beast...

aa is a recovery program, I would venture to say the average age is around 40 or so...a tad bit different than a college campus. Most people are there to find help, not a date.
Again, by no means do I say this behavior should prevent one from seeking the help they need, but women and some men should understand that you will find plenty of unsavory behavior in the rooms.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:39 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bballdad View Post
the GSC cannot and will not do anything about it but maybe put out a article in some aa publication

this is a problem we all must solve for ourselves.If they tryed to solve it,it would lead to them governing over us,and then it would cause more trouble.We police ourselves..to sit back and wait on someone else to solve our problems would be ir-responsible.

It is being brought up as an item for discussion to raise awareness. Our delegate brought this to us last spring and it is being discussed again this year.

We had a discussion at our district meeting a month or so ago and it has been on going, so I think it is a pretty heavy deal to merit this much discussion.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Jim, can I inquire as to what was said at the district meeting? Was it brought to the table because of a specific incident or as a general concern?
Old 03-15-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

sug, I do believe from my experience that there is a greater chance of me being "hit on" at aa than in the grocery store, work or church. Maybe since you are not a woman it is something that you don't see. I am in no way saying that this is a reason not to seek help if you need it, but it is a reality in the rooms. To compare a college campus to a recovery group is not quite fair. First of a college campus is full of teenagers and early 20 somethings...parties often trump studies....nature of that beast...

aa is a recovery program, I would venture to say the average age is around 40 or so...a tad bit different than a college campus. Most people are there to find help, not a date.
Again, by no means do I say this behavior should prevent one from seeking the help they need, but women and some men should understand that you will find plenty of unsavory behavior in the rooms.
Unfortunately, due to our court systems many people that enter via that way are not their to find help they are there simply because a judge said they had to be or go straight to jail. I have found that many times the ones looking for dates do come from treatment centers and court mandated programs. They tend to keep the I am in a bar type mentality which is looking for someone to hit on, the fraternity mentality that Sug described. Now the true predator, the "lech" that hits on the ones 20 years younger than themselves, leer at anything in with breasts that walks into the rooms, buddies up to women so they can manipulate them into bed, can come from anywhere and unfortunately the ones I have seen have been lurking in AA for double digit years. But I see them no different than a sick person. I just know that they have a disease I want no part of. You can sober up a horsethief but what you wind up with is a horsethief unless you do something to change their behavior.

I do find it ironic that people think the percent is so high in AA yet, it is actually considerably less than if one walks into a bar. We all did that. I have still run into more predators in a church setting than in AA. But that is my personal experience, and that does not mean it is everyone's experience. Just as you experience is that the numbers are higher in AA, that does not mean it is everyones experience. Yes, AA should be a safe place and for many it is. If someone finds this to be a problem find a different meeting where the homegroup members address the problem and keep the predators away.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:12 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thank You Bugs,

I related my experience in another post, it is MY experience, I did not imply it, I told it as it happened to me.

Sug, as you say you are not a woman, so no doubt you "haven't found this to be the case".

I thank everyone who has responded to this issue with sensitivity, especially Jimhere.

Seren