married to a father figure

Old 07-13-2006, 10:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
fairyprincess

married to a father figure

Anyone had or having the experience of marriage or relationship with a parent figure/parent child relationship??? I believe I have just identified that thats what I am in...how to go about changing the dynamics...can they be changed??
Old 07-14-2006, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not me princess, sorry. Do you want to share how you figured out that you are in that kind of dynamics? That way I may be able to suggest some books or 12-step work that might be relevant. Could also help other folks who are struggling with the same issues that you are.

Mike
Old 07-14-2006, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
fairyprincess

well mike I'll tell ya....As my husband was asking me if I love him and how I love him I spent a lot of time pondering....well, I thought, it's comfortable, warm, not a grand passion, companionable, respectful....just like I would imagine I should have felt for a parent...he is always telling me the best way to do things, how to think, feel, react.....I feel basically I have let him parent me throughout the last 17 years because that's what I needed, so is it any wonder I would have parent type feelings for him. Now it's time to parent myself and change the dynamics or else the marraige won't last... so that's it in a nut shell....
Old 07-14-2006, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((((Fairyprincess))))

Now it's time to parent myself and change the dynamics or else the marraige won't last... so that's it in a nut shell....
Yes, it is time to change you. I can speak from experience on this subject, I have lived it for 33 years.
I have the same exact thoughts you do about your husband about mine.
He is a wonderful, sharing, giving man, and always provided and gave to me. The only thing he didn't give me was respect for my own thoughts and feelings.

It's not totally his fault. I was scared and weak and would follow anything he said. Why, he knew best and what did I know? That is how I felt for years. I am not saying he thought I was ignorant nor submissive, I wasn't.
I just always thought he knew best.
Now, 33 years later, I am divorced.
He and I love and respect each other immensely. I speak to him frequently but I moved away, far away from him and our grown children.

It was hell at first. I was lonely (still am) and very very afraid. I honestly thought I wouldn't make it. He was like a parent to me, really. Even now he tells me what he thinks is best for me but NOW he corrects himself and says: "I am sorry. I cannot tell you what to do with your life" But now, I am comfortable with myself, knowing I have a voice, and choices that I alone can make without consultation or approval. (I am not saying we don't do this in marriage, it is a partnership and consultation and agreement between two is a good, and necessary thing)

We are both growing. The man loves me with his whole heart and soul, and I love him back, as you described..."not a grand passion, comfortable and warm" but I do love him, and enjoy his sense of humor, too.

We may or may not get back together, but I will NEVER lose touch with him.

I am jsut now venturing into unknown waters that I needed to go into when I was in my thirties. I want a degree in Philosophy and that is my goal now...I am already set for the fall semester. It is wonderful to think and feel on my own, knowing it's not ever a wrong choice.
As Shakespeare said:
"Nothing is right or wrong, but thinking makes it so..."

I don't know if this has helped you or not, but there is a huge hope for your marriage IF YOU TAKE CARE OF YOU FIRST.
Then, everything falls into place. That is what I neglected to do...take care of me first.

Take Care, feel free to PM me anytime if you want to talk...
Peace,
Wolfstarr