having a crush and being clueless

Old 06-01-2006, 10:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chess
These days I'm doing an excellent job at critizing me myself ! And it's usually brutal. I still feel like everyone else knows everything better than me. What can I do to change that?
Everything Ginger said is right on -- starting to acknowledge those things, no matter what they are, that you are good at is great advice.

You might also want to remind yourself where that critical voice came from. If you can trace it back to how much you heard criticism as a child, it may help you to ease up.

Tell youself, "Of course it makes sense that I criticize myself all the time, and tell myself I don't know as much as everybody else -- I was told that repeatedly as a child." Then give yourself compassion for that little girl who received all that criticism. What would you tell her if she was here right now? What would tell a small child who was being criticized by her friends?

People in the past passed along their own self-judgment on to you. You can pass it back -- and start to acknowledge the wonderful gifts you have inside you.

best
gf