Need Help for My Mother

Old 05-14-2006, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Help for My Mother

My mom is an addict to alcohol/pills or both...we are still not sure. This has been ongoing for a few years and is tearing our family apart. My sister and I are now adults with our own children. We think she needs to be in rehab, but we are unsure of the next step to take. Her husband seems to be in denial as well. Would love any advice...Thanks.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Marie,

I think your post would be better placed in the 'Friends and Family' forum. There are many more people who frequent that forum and who understand how to deal with interventions, getting help and how to help your family deal with this issue.

This forum doesn't get nearly as much traffic, and is focussed on people who grew up with alcoholics and the special needs they have as adults due to their upbringing in alcoholic or dysfunctional families.

I promise you that you will get very much good advice if you post this on the Friends and Family forum.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice Ginger. I will give it a try.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
fairyprincess

It really depends on wether she feels like it is a problem or not...my mother went through rehab after rehab but never really wanted to recover, so she never did regardless of what we all tried to do for her. I would try an intervention, but if she is not ready or willing, she may never be able to overcome it....my mother died from alcohol, a very lonely sad woman, but it was her choice. I really hope it goes better for your mom...best of luck!!