Mother's day from the other side

Old 05-14-2006, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mother's day from the other side

I'm wondering how people who have Amothers, but who have not totally detached from them, deal with mother's day?

I've always had a really hard time with it, feeling like a hypocrit for doing something special for the day, yet feeling obligated to do so both by society and by how hurt my mother would be if I completely ignored it.

I've worked through most of the anger towards my mother, and with her changing (significant changes, which I honestly never thought she would be able to make) so much, our relationship may actually stand a chance at being something more than a farce or an obligation. Things are definitely in a state of flux right now, and I am being as encouraging as I can be without being overly intrusive into her private life. (Mom is learning to set boundaries, and I am most heartily encouraging that and giving her major props for doing so).

I suppose this topic also includes father's day.

I always go through this fight with myself over what I should do vs. what I want to do. Usually I want to ignore it entirely and claim I forgot, but honestly, you'd have to be living under a rock to 'forget'. While I may live under a small rock, it's not so big as to not notice the media frenzy around mother's day (or valentine's day either for that matter)

Bah. Stupid Hallmark holidays.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The way it works for me is to treat it like any other response towards my "A" family. If I'm doing "it" out of guilt then I need to work on _me_ and dig out the guilt so that I can live happy, joyous and free. Only when I am free of guilt can I be free to make a decision without the influence of negative emotions. Then I can choose what action to follow that will meet my goals, instead of mitigate my negative feelings.

Around here we call that a DUI. Decision Under the Influence of emotions. Those decisions never resolve anything, they just generate more emotions and the cylce repeats. A family holiday _should_ be a time of joy and happiness. If it's not, then it's time to do something different.

I chose not to participate in family holidays with my biological family. It brought me no pleasure or comfort, and it provided them an opportunity to create chaos.

Mike