I finally figured it out (humor)

Old 05-13-2006, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I finally figured it out (humor)

How to get my folks to stop drinking! I'm going to buy them a set of these and take away all their regular wine glasses!

http://www.kleinbottle.com/Tantalus.html

(I hope this isn't seen in poor taste, I know this board is serious, as is the nature of the beast. Sometimes a little laughter at the unchangeable can let a little light in though. No, I don't really think this would stop an alcoholic from drinking.)
Old 05-13-2006, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My God! How could you Ginger. This board is for very serious people only, I just don't belive it

Have a nice weekend

Ken
Old 05-13-2006, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ginger

* lmfao *

How come they didn't have those when I was living with my alcoholic family. I'da bought one for everybody. Maybe 2.

Mike
p.s. I dunno about you, but I find humor very healing.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I dunno about you, but I find humor very healing.
Sometimes I find it the only way to survive
Old 05-13-2006, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Ginger-

Humor is a gift. As long as it is clean, non-offensive or hurtful, laughing is a great way to heal oneself from all the hurt and pain one can go through. That's why I watch C-Span

Ken
Old 05-13-2006, 07:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As long as it is clean, non-offensive or hurtful
I'm usually pretty good about those. The biggest problem for me is that I can have a very dark sense of humor and also tend to have a very dry sense of humor, so often people think I'm being completely serious when I'm not.

Best case in point was a situation where I was helping a friend of a friend of a friend move (meaning I didn't know the majority of the people there). One of the people was discussing the cat of the person moving, and made some comment about how old the cat was and how his fur looked really mangy. Now, as an animal lover, I found that comment to be totally tacky - I mean, when I get to be the equivalent age of that cat, I'm sure I'm going to look a little mangy too. So I replied (dryly and deadpan) "Oh yes, so if you're planning on turning him into a muff, you better do it soon." You could have heard a pin drop, and everyone stared at me like I was some demon. *sigh* I wanted to give them the definition of 'sarcasm' but I figured that would be lost on them too. Of course, people who know me well would have seen the humor in that, and would have understood that what I was saying was "I can't believe you care what the cat looks like! Old pets, like old people, are going to look a bit ratty!"

Ah well. Since I'm new to the board, I'm a bit nervous about posting something meant entirely in jest which may come across wrong, so please don't mind the disclaimers. Dry/dark humor is even more difficult to pull off in text.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

did u check out the "recovery follies" post board, lots of gold ones there.