Examining Our Beliefs

Old 06-20-2005, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Examining Our Beliefs

I'd like to share today's thought from the DailyOm website. It reminds me of my Al-Anon sponsor's wise words: "We learn what we live, then we live what we learn" and "Our perception is our reality".

In my recovery, I've learned to question those deeply-ingrained beliefs, find the ones that are toxic and no longer work for me, and "change the things I can". I hope you enjoy!

June 20, 2005

Your Life Is Your Art

Toltec Wisdom

The Toltec wisdom tradition originated in southern Mexico thousands of years ago. It has reemerged in recent years through many teachers, some who consider themselves direct descendents of the ancient Toltecs. This tradition is not considered a religion, but a philosophy accessible to anyone open to its insights.

The Toltec believe that this life is a dream, and that the dream we are having, which we consider reality, is created out of our beliefs and thoughts. Therefore, it is malleable. We can change it by changing our beliefs and thoughts. Deconstructing our current view of reality and understanding how that view forms our experience of reality is the primary work involved on the Toltec path.

For example, if you grew up in a family with a history of depression or repression, the chances are your reality is very influenced by ideas that perpetuate those conditions. Many of the ideas we hold to be truth were passed on to us before we had the capacity to question them and they took hold in our consciousness by default. Once we begin to understand this, we can release thoughts and beliefs that cause suffering, knowing that they are not the truth.

You can begin this journey by examining the set of beliefs under which you currently operate. Notice if any of them make you feel restricted, unhappy, or depressed. This is your intuition telling you that something is not right. Question those beliefs. Trust your innate ability to know the truth when you see it. As we methodically dismantle our belief systems, we begin to experience newfound personal freedom, one of the key tenets of the Toltec Way. It is this freedom that enables us to see that we are artists capable of creating our own lives.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

nocellphone-

Thank you for sharing this.

I find that there are many out there in their recovery that touch the "roots" of philosophy that originates with ancient tribes and people as well as the religion of these ancient tribes and people. It's interesting how great the human mind is, even after all these years! *smile* Makes me want to go back in time when philosophy and conversation was also known as an art, today, it's taken for granted.

I enjoy learning something new everyday, thanks!

Kat-