Stressed to the max!

Old 04-26-2005, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stressed to the max!

My father is 53 years old and has been an alcoholic for over 20 years now. Recently, his girlfriend gave up on him and he is staying with my grandma and I. The past two weeks or so he has been drinking heavily, not eating, he can barely dress himself or shave and he fell and he literally broke his nose becasue he was so drunk....that and his depression doesn't help with the drinking, it just adds to it....Since Sunday he has completely stopped drinking and has the shakes so bad my grandma had to feed him soup last night and he hardly sleeps because of the withdrawals....i can't beleive alcohol is legal
Old 04-26-2005, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there and welcome.
It's really hard to witness someone you love in the depths of their alcoholism.
It's an ugly, damaging disease.
I'm sorry that this is so hard on you and your grandma, not to mention your Dad.
There are a lot of people here who understand what you're going through.
Glad you joined us.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Replying to your reply

Thank you Gabe for your kind reply....It helps to know that there are people who are experiencing the same traumatic events as I am....and to log on and see that someone has taken the time to respond to my quote!
Old 05-11-2005, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by gonsalves23
i can't beleive alcohol is legal
I have the same feeling from time to time...

I hope that your Dad's situation has improved since your first post and that you're able to maintain your own emotional health despite your close proximity to the horrible disease of alcoholism.

Please let us know how things are going.

I wish you peace...
Old 05-11-2005, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes, sometimes i cant believe its legal either. it does so much damage and yet our government seems to worry way too much about other things. geez, could the $$$$$ have anything to do with that???? i wonder just what the numbers are dollar wise for the government with cigs and alcohol. ill bet its alot higher revenue from alcohol.
sorry you are going thru this,and i hope your dad realizes what it is and has done to him.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
angel with a broken wing

I have to agree with you on the point you made about alcohol being legal. I mean if only people could see the utter damage it does then maybe it would be made illegal.
I hope that you are slightly better since your last post. I am sorry that you are going through this....
Old 05-12-2005, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Cool Breeze in Hell

I hope your Dad is doing better and that you and your grandma are okay. I remember watching my Mother go through withdrawal and it isn't easy on anyone. This is a good place to come so you don't feel alone. We're all in this together.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
old enough to know BETTER!!!!!

You are so very right .... alcohol should be ILLEGAL!

The sad part, from first-hand experience, is that once addicted, the alcoholic truly has no control. The darn DISEASE has completely and utterly controlled him/her.

It is hard to watch, I know. Sadly, I was on the other end ..... and alienated everyone who loved me. It's a powerful powerful, evil addiction.

Your dad may very very well want to stop, but isn't able to. I know you must be thinking "why does he do this ..... why can't he stop ..... doesn't he realize what he's doing to himself and his family?" Truth is, he can't! Not without professional help. Now, this is just my own personal opinion and experience.

How I wish I had words of advice for you. Will he see a doctor? Will he consider rehab?

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family!

Withdrawal is an awful, anxiety-filled, tortureous feeling. Yes, he will shake ..... I shook so badly, I couldn't drive because my legs/feet wouldn't stop shaking.

GOD, I hope GOD gives you and your family to get through this!

Keep coming back here ..... great folks who have great wisdom and are so very willing to help!

Much love,
Maria