crazy dad

Old 04-15-2005, 05:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

crazy dad

This is my first time on here and I am really just getting desperate. My dad is an alcoholic, I guess this is the first real time that I have admitted it to myself. He went into rehab last year and came out a better person for awhile. Needless to say he is drinking again. I don't live at home anymore, I just got married a year ago but I left behind two brother one 17 and another that is 12. Luckily we do have a wonderful mother who really made life somewhat normal, but she could only do so much. Well to the point I took my little brother out today and when we got back my dad was drunk, he ended up getting angry at my mom, my little brother is yelling stop it and ended up running out the door crying. Well for the first time I just lost it with him, crying, yelling all of that. He blames my mom for him being depressed and drinking. I'm at a loss of what to do. I have got a 3 year old daughter who witnessed all of this. I am lucky in the sense that because I grew up in this enviroment I go to every extreme to make sure my own child is not exposed to this, but she is by my dad. What do I do? How can I help him, my brothers, me, and my own child?
Old 04-15-2005, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey ared, welcome to Sober Recovery.
There isn't much you can do for your dad.
He's going to have to want to get sober before he does.
It's really hard when alcoholism affects the kids, and the grandkids.
Your brothers might find some help in Alateen.
I did.
It's really nice to find a group of people who are living with and understand what you're going through.
As for your daughter, limited exposure to your Dad is the only thing I can think of.
There are lots of people here who understand what you're going through.
Make yourself at home.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful For His Love...

I went to al-anon, my mom and dad both alcoholic. the effects on the family can be devasting without help. your brothers can go to al-ateen while you are at al-anon. your mom also will get much needed support in al-anon. as for your dad, he has to decide to continue or get help. I would not expose your 3 year old to the insanity. the family will much improve when you all seek help, I encourage you to try recovery and find support here as well, we have all been through this the solution for me has been in the steps and understanding the dynamicsof the disease.God bless...
Old 04-17-2005, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I appreciate both of your advice and I agree. My parents are adults and are responsible for themselves, I just hate leaving my brothers in that atmosphere.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful For His Love...

Let your brothers know about al-ateen and get them some literature there. also if your dad gets in-sane to leave and call you. I walked on egg shells my whole life,I protected my sisters and brother, both parents drunk and fighting. we would run and hide till they passed out. Please get help, this is a family disease. Al-anon is a great support and information about the dynamics of the disease and how it affects the family. There is a solution and help for all of you. Recovery is possible...They need to talk about their feelings with others who understand and get some solutions. If not they will have resentment, anger,fear,feel unloved , it will affect them for life without help. I know, I was a child living in that environment.God Bless you and your Family...