The Lost Child

Old 01-17-2020, 02:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Lost Child

I've been reading about the roles people play in an alcoholic family and I can identify as The Lost Child. I have memories of being very quiet, almost invisible, trying to cause as little problems as possible. I would daydream a lot. That was an escape from reality.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how to heal from this role.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, see below.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. I’m writing a few months after your post. I hope you see it. Currently I’m reading a book called The Power Of Attachment. One take-away for those of us who have avoidant attachment traits (and it seems to me the lost child is an avoidant-type role) is to go toward people, reach out when we feel like withdrawing. The book contains specific examples of how to do this which is helpful.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was the "identified patient" and a very strong possibility of being a lost child as well. Not fun. I need to re read some of these things and figure out where my family of origin went so wrong, if it's even possible. We had one mean matriarch and a father who never came home, rarely. I didn't blame him. I wouldn't want to come home to my mom either in those days.
After getting some support here, I realize how helpful and important it is to have this growing up. My love, prayers and grief who never experienced this growing up. ♥♥♥
Old 06-05-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carpathia View Post
Hi. I’m writing a few months after your post. I hope you see it. Currently I’m reading a book called The Power Of Attachment. One take-away for those of us who have avoidant attachment traits (and it seems to me the lost child is an avoidant-type role) is to go toward people, reach out when we feel like withdrawing. The book contains specific examples of how to do this which is helpful.
Only saw your response today. I will look for that book. I'm definitely an avoidant type!