Why does she sound like a 2 year old all the time?

Old 05-16-2018, 11:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
Wow! That is very interesting what it is like for your husband. I imagine he must've been relieved to find out he was adopted, which made it easier to detach even more. They didn't take it personally when he was by himself?
They told him he was adopted from the very beginning, he grew up knowing he was adopted and was very blase about it. They did think he was a bit strange when he was happy being by himself, I don't know if they took it personally....

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
Did you have trouble bonding to the eldest because he was a preemie because you were in fear he'd die or be sick and that you'd be blamed?
The baby arrived 6 weeks early. It didn't help that the obstetrician told us that he likely would die and that we shouldn't get too attached to him. (Isn't that a horrible thing to say to ANY new parents?) It frightened me, but still I visited my little guy and did my best, but without prior experience, I had great difficulty, emotionally. This was many years ago. Now, he's this big hulking guy with a wife and daughter, and you'd never guess he had such a shaky start to life.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thaky View Post
They told him he was adopted from the very beginning, he grew up knowing he was adopted and was very blase about it. They did think he was a bit strange when he was happy being by himself, I don't know if they took it personally....
And if they did, he's probably sharp enough to know it's not his fault. ;-)

The baby arrived 6 weeks early. It didn't help that the obstetrician told us that he likely would die and that we shouldn't get too attached to him. (Isn't that a horrible thing to say to ANY new parents?) It frightened me, but still I visited my little guy and did my best, but without prior experience, I had great difficulty, emotionally. This was many years ago.
That is a horrible thing for a doctor to say! I am sorry you had that experience.

Now, he's this big hulking guy with a wife and daughter, and you'd never guess he had such a shaky start to life.
I've heard this before!! I think it's more common than not. :-)