Hi I'm new here and just looking for some support/answers

Old 11-08-2016, 02:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi I'm new here and just looking for some support/answers

Hey My dad has been an alcoholic for as long as I can remember. Hes always suffered with shaky hands in the morning as he doesn't drink till 12. We were out for lunch two days ago and his shaking was so bad and it was his whole body..he said he felt like he was panicking and couldn't pick his drink up, once he did finally get the drink down him he settled down. So I know it was the fact he needed to have a drink but I've never seen him like that. His face was also puffy looking and weird.. does this mean he's getting much worse? Will he die from this soon? Thanks in advance for any replys.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It would seem he has more severe withdrawal symptoms (they go away when he has the alcohol, so it's withdrawal)
But only his doctor can answer these questions.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Sugarplum 89, and welcome to our little corner of the forums.

I agree with Brenda here... Has your dad been seeing a doctor? There's a "chance" it could be something else. I'd like to be able to give you a more definitive answer, but a lot of alcoholics seem to be able to hang on, up and down, for a long time. I know it can be very difficult for a daughter to see this happening to her father.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sugarplum!!

It could a whole range of things, there is a point when daily hangovers become daily withdrawals, and with that comes withdrawal symptoms.

But he really needs to see a Dr as it could be anything.

You'll find loads of support here on SR for you, which is important also as looking in from the outside at someone else's addiction can be a very frustrating and lonely place.

But you're not alone here!!