hospital admissions...

Old 10-03-2004, 12:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
angel with a broken wing

hospital admissions...

She has been admitted twice already this year which is doing better than the previous years. usually it is around 5-6 times. But everytime it is always the same "diabetes" "pancreaitis" any other word apart from the ones that i know it is and so do they.
Too shorten down a long story, she has been told that the next time could be her last time (this was told by our Gp but not by the hospital they have said nothing at all about it), and I just want to ask you's if you's know of any ideas that i could do to get someone to listen to me and get her then help she needs.
I just sit and think to myself can noone else see what is going on.. Is it only me? Am i imagining it?

If not then why are the docs not doing anything to help her or even put it down on her files... It just makes me so frustrated....
Sorry kinda turned into a ramble
xxXXXxx
Old 10-03-2004, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When my mom still drank, we called her doctor one time because she was on pain meds and drinking very heavily. The doctor had no idea she drank but couldn't do much but acknowledge we told him.

For her to sober up, it took many health scares. She had very high blood pressure, headaches, and stomach problems. Finally, one day, she admitted she lost control and went into rehab.

Sorry if I didn't provide you with the answer you are looking for, this was just my experience.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Angelsneverdie,

Just like Star Gazer, my mother had many many health scares before she quit drinking. The last one ended her up in icu and her having now clue what happened.

That finally did it -- but that was the only thing that worked for her. You can't make her stop. I always hated when people said that to me, and honestly may be I still do, but it's true. I can see that now. Hindsight is 20/20.

I would suggest talking with a social worker at the hospital and/or going to a meeting or getting a counsler of your own to deal with some of this stuff.

I understand your pain and frustration. If you are anything like me, you feel the need to take care of her, like it's your responsibility. I still feel that way sometimes but I have to remind myself that it's not my responsibility. Remind youself of that too, as hard as it is, it's the truth.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I hate to hear that we can't stop them too, but I can't deny that it is true. We can offer information but can't make them absorb it. We can blame the doc's (or in my case the court system) but that doesn't change the fact that it is not their fault. There is only one person that can stop it and that is the alcoholic.

Hugs,
JT
Old 10-22-2004, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
On a tear

You might want to contact a local AA group and ask them if they still do 12-stepping. Back in the 70's, my mom was hospitalized a few times, and one of the last times, a group of two or three folks came in from the local AA club to talk to her about alcoholism. She didn't stop drinking that time, but at least the family knew she that she had been confronted... so continuing to drink was a conscience choice on her part.

She didn't stop drinking until 1980, and has been sober ever since. Her health was damaged by the drinking years, but she has put a lot of effort into becoming as healthy as she can. Mom is 67 years old today and sober. I am grateful her Higher Power finally sent her the message at the time she was ready to hear it.

Angelsneverdie - sending you prayers for the wisdom to make the best choices for yourself and your loved one.

BigSis