Dry June Ramble

Old 06-08-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dry June Ramble

I know most people have Dry January after the holidays but I find I enjoy a few drinks on winter evenings (nothing else to do) and my birthday is in Jan as well. So I am doing a dry June before our big vacation next month. I don't drink every day, but have been every weekend, and maybe one or two weekdays a glass of wine or two.
It's interesting that my mother obviously has an addiction problem, her siblings did as well. My bio-dad does not. And even though the AM did not raise me, that addiction issue has always been thrown at me (by her) that I have this in my genes and I have a high likely hood of being an addict. And yet, I never have been. I was always able to walk away from alcohol, didn't drink (or even think about it) for years while raising my kids. Started having wine on the weekends when they got older and it escalated a bit as I started socializing more. When I wanted to lose weight I would stop for a while. But it's like her voice is stuck in my head that "I will probably be an addict" and it terrifies me. So, to prove to that voice that it's WRONG (and lose weight) I have decided to have a dry June. Have not told anyone other than my fiance and a couple of my kids. Interestingly enough, even though I am not addicted, my kids are very sensitive to any alcohol consumption due to their alcoholic dad. So it makes them feel better when I show them that they don't have to worry about me in that regard.
I like having more energy and glowing skin but socially I am introverted unless I have a drink or two, so I am sort of keeping my head down and thinking about who I am and what makes me happy. Which would be fine except my fiance is a social BEAST LOL. Have been begging off hanging out with all his scotch drinking friends (he doesn't drink at all hahah) while I figure out how to get over the introvert in me without the benefit of a glass of wine. Personally, I like staying at home or going out with one or two good friends or family but he likes hanging with his friends (OUR friends LOL) at least twice a week. We shall see what happens this Friday, hoping I can go with him, sit and drink a soda and have a good time listening to the conversations. Ramble over. Thanks for this forum where we can pour our guts out to each other.