Alcoholic Mother

Old 04-22-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic Mother

Both of my parents are alcoholics, but this no longer affects me. I have dealt with it.

However, I am one of those who likes to know what I'm looking at. I'm not sure if anyone here will know the answers to my questions, but I thought I'd try.

My mother is a type 1 diabetic and an alcoholic. She drinks excessive amounts of wine daily and buys it by the box (Sunset Blush). I don't live with her and don't see her often so I'm going to guess she goes through a box in 1 1/2 days to 2 days.

I suspect she has wet brain, but not sure how to know since she is also a diabetic. Her blood sugar can go anywhere from 20 to over 500 multiple times in a day. It's been this way for years. Since her sugar levels are so bad it's hard to know what's from alcohol and what's from the diabetes. When I do see her I have trouble knowing if she's suffering from low blood sugar because she often sounds crazy.
She also just had her 2nd hip replacement from falling. She often falls and injures herself.

I just want to know so I know how to respond to possible medical emergency or what to expect as far as life expectancy. I've been thinking for the last 10 years that it won't be long...but somehow she keeps on going.

My mom is 61 years old. Her first hip replacement was about 5 years ago and the doctor at that time said her body is like that of an 80 year old. Not sure what it is now.

I do help her sometimes, but I'm not personally affected by her. Nothing she does or says upsets. I don't talk to her about her addictions or anything like that.....been there and done that. I live my own life now and walked away emotionally from her over 10 years ago. I'm just curious how this works with her diabetes. I guess I should also add that she takes all kinds of pain pills too...don't know all of them, but know she's on morphine. She's had triple bypass heart surgery and is in heart failure (has been for years). Many other health issues too...not really sure of all her medical stuff.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Catherim, and welcome to our quiet little corner of recovery

Originally Posted by Catherim View Post
... Both of my parents are alcoholics, but this no longer affects me. I have dealt with it. ....
Way kewl, it's always inspiring to hear from peeps who have overcome these issues.

... Her blood sugar can go anywhere from 20 to over 500 multiple times in a day. ....
Wow. I am type II diabetic, so I understand what you are talking about.

A blood sugar of 20 is insanely low. There is something called "Insulin Shock" that commonly occurs with blood glucose that low. That is definetly cause to diall 911 and get her in the ER.

... I just want to know so I know how to respond to possible medical emergency ....
The first thing I recommend is that you attend a class on diabetes. Most of them will give you answers to exactly the questions you are asking. Far more important is that you will meet other people with diabetes who can then refer you to physician in your area that can be your primary resource in dealing with your mother.

The best place to ask about classes in your community is here:

American Diabetes Association®

The idea is that the next time her blood glucose goes low you can get her into the ER and you will have a physician that knows her history and can get her admitted, or at least transfered to some other facility that is apropriate.

... I'm just curious how this works with her diabetes. ....
It works the same as with any other disease where the patient has progressed so far that they are no longer able to properly care for their condition. She does not have to be completely incapable of self care to require admission. She just needs to be unable to care for her _medical_ needs. From what you have described it certainly sounds like she is at this point.

Which brings up a second aproach that you can also consider is a "Welfare check." That is what it is called where I live, you may have to find out what the correct term is at your location. The purpose is that if she passes out, or is unresponsive in any way, her diabetes is ample cause for the police to bust down the door and get her to the ER.

Once in the ER they can make sure she doesn't die, but that is all they are going to do. Which is why I recommend that you find a physician that can do more for her than what the ER will do.

There is a lot that can be done for your mother, most of which can be taken care of by the medical community. The tricky part is getting her admitted somewhere in order to get the process started.

That is just the briefest of overviews. I'm sure you have many more questions so just post them here.

Welcome again

Mike
Moderator, SR
Old 04-23-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My mom will not go to the doctor and even if I got her to go she wouldn't follow the doctors orders/recommendations.
When we would have to call 911 due to her not waking up from low blood sugar the paramedics give the emergency shot & she refuses to go to hospital after waking up.
Now we have the emergency shot on hand at all times.

Medical care isn't going to happen. After recent hip replacement she was kicked out of rehab hospital for refusing to cooperate.
The only doctor she will go to is pain management to get her pain pills.

I guess I was just wanting to know how diabetes is affected by alcohol and pain pills & how to know if it's wet brain or just effects of crazy glucose levels?? I wanted to know for my own knowledge...just to know and so I can respond appropriately when needed.
She's not going to improve or get medical care.
I'm one of those that likes to understand the situations at hand...not necessarily to fix. As we all know only she can decide if and when she wants to get better.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

... My mom will not go to the doctor and even if I got her to go she wouldn't follow the doctors orders/recommendations....
Alcoholism and diabetes are both progressive disorders. Without proper care they get worse over time. Which means that the time will come when your mother will not be _able_ to refuse. Her mental condition will deteriorate to the point that she won't know where she is or what is going on. When that time comes you will be getting calls from the ER asking _you_ to take her in, or to tell them where to send her for long term care.

... how diabetes is affected by alcohol and pain pills...
The combination makes everything worse. Some pain medications make blood sugar fluctuations worse. Alcohol has a high level of carbs, which is not all that different to a diabetic than just sucking sugar right out of a bag.

... how to know if it's wet brain or just effects of crazy glucose levels??...
That is something only a doctor can diagnose. "Wet brain" is a generic term for a many different types of damage to the brain. Some show up on X-ray, some don't. The effects of a very low blood sugar, aka "Insulin shock", will go away once the blood glucose is stable, but from what you describe about your mother it doesn't sound like her glucose is _ever_ stable.

... ...just to know and so I can respond appropriately when needed....
My suggestion is that if your mother's behavior shows that she is a danger to herself or others then call the paramedics and let the medical people figure out the diagnosis.

... I'm one of those that likes to understand the situations at hand...
Check out that American Diabetes Association website. There is a lot of information there that will help you understand how that disease works.

Mike
Moderator, SR