my alcoholic mom

Old 12-16-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my alcoholic mom

hey everyone . well.. my moms an alcoholic and my father bailed when i was little . im completely dependant on my mom despite my age. my therapist said me and my mother are in a co dependant relationship and she says i have dependant personality disorder. being dependant on an alcoholic is really difficuly for me. im really lost and am trying not to turn to alcohol myself but its tough. im really frightened of her dying. she has liver problems among many others. i dont know what ill do after she passes. can anyone relate
Old 12-17-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. This is a great place to start. Look over our stickies posted above. They have a lot of insight that could help. It does sound like you have a very dependent relationship with your unhealthy mom. I found it easier to blame my parents than to create a relationship with them and caring about them. Sounds harsh I know, but it's what I did to survive. I made my peace with them, but it was best for me to detach emotionally and find my own life, take care of me and have my own family.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Itsme!!

Your story reads like mine, and unfortunately my dad ended up dying of alcohol.

Support for yourself is important, looking in on someone else's addiction can be a very lonely and frustrating place, the reality is unless your mom wants to change she isn't going to, and so we need to deal with that reality with the right support around us.

You'll find loads of support here on SR, but there's also Al-anon for face to face support!!
Old 01-25-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

itsme123, sorry i'm coming here a month late - i was extremely dependent on my mother until i was 31 also. if you're still around and reading, i would be happy to share and talk with you. <3