A high class wino

Old 09-10-2004, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A high class wino

Trudging along on the happy road to recovery I reach Charateristic #6

6. Adult children of alcoholics take themselves very seriously.

Having come from a nutball-crazy family it makes sense. There never was any fun time, any laughter. Life was just one out-of-control race to dodge whatever drunk was having a fit that day. I never learned how to laugh, or what happiness felt like. When every moment of your life is spent wondering if you're going to die, it can be very dangerous _not_ to be serious.

Once I got away from that environment it was like shaking a beer and popping the lid. I became completely the opposite. Party to the max. Accompanied by vast amounts of "recreational chemicals" :-) THey were my "anti-depresants", and allowed me to shed the oppresive inhibitions of my childhood and live life among the living.

'course, that didn't last. The chemicals quickly did their "progression" thing and I wound up a wino living in a trash dumpster. Note that I considered myself a higher class of wino, as I had a place to live. I was not homeless, not technically anyway <lol>

In sobriety it took me awhile to let go of those old reflexes, habits and feelings. I had to do oddball things at first, like sleep on the floor. Without some kind of anti-depresant there were just too many nightmares associated with beds and couches and furniture. Some exceptionally kind people in the program forced a matress into my apartment, which was my first step into losing the old fears. Later they brought a couch, and a chair, and a table. They practically furnished my entire "efficiency" apartment <lol> When I eventually was able to tease them and say that they were just using my place as their storage bin for old junk I realized that I had healed both from the fear, and from taking myself too seriously :-)

Mike :-)
p.s. I sleep in a real bed now ;-)
Old 09-11-2004, 05:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Mike,
My family never had fun either. They always planned to have fun, but I was never taught how to live in the now, so fun was always in the future, or the past. I kept missing the experience. Living one day at a time has taught me that life is what we make it. There is fun to be had and opportunities each day if I am looking for them. Hugs, Magic
Old 09-11-2004, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very inspirational story!!
Old 09-11-2004, 09:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
imnotcrazyimjustalittleun well

hey mike. amazing story. i like the shaken beer analogy. that was me too. i was always picking up the pieces at home...being the adult. once i got ahold of liquor i came undone so to speak. it was my escape. even in sobriety i find i am still way too serious but i am only 2.5 years sober.