mommiedearest

Old 07-07-2015, 10:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

mommiedearest

My mom and dad are both alcoholics...have been since as far back as I can remember. Two years ago they decided to up and move to another state. I have three little girls. Plus I have 2 heroin addicted sisters....long story short my mom has made me take on the mother role with my sisters since I was 9 yrs old...how do I tell her to help them. I can't handle it anymore
Old 07-08-2015, 01:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

While difficult to execute the answer is simple. They are not your children they are adults. Stop doing for them. Tell them and your mother for your family's health and well being you cannot care for them any more. Period. Go no contact if you need to.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, this might be a little island of sanity in your storm. Have you read the stickies above? They are really helpful. Your situation is so similar to many many of us. I had to take care of my sisters twins and my younger sister when I was just 12! Every weekend till I grew up and ended up taking them into my own home. I was the mom as a kid. Not because I wanted to initially, I was made to. After that I did become panicky about what was going to happen if not for me. If you read my blog here you can read all the gory details, suffice it to say your situation is all very familiar territory for adult children of alcoholics. Alanon meetings would be a good place to start if you can't find an ACoA meeting. Have you done much reading about ACoA? it's very helpful to realize that this is not all in your own mind and that others have similar circumstances and you are not alone.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ya my counselor said al-anon might be helpful gna try. Does blogging help you? I use to write a lot to help me release...
Old 07-09-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Sister, so glad to hear you have a counselor. Alanon should also help put things into perspective. Starting with simple boundaries should be something you can start with - start small and build up with help from counselor, alanon, forums, blogging - whatever you feel gives you the support and strength you need. I started with a small boundary with my alcoholic mom (no buying booze for her) that quickly escalated to complete no contact but everyone's situation is different and sometimes boundaries are all you need. Good luck figuring it out - we're all here for each other.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks too all for your comments. I am thinking about blogging as a release or outlet. My release right now is my OCD cleaning for about 4 hrs a day. I use to write poetry. Maybe it will help
Old 07-10-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes you can have a blog here that you can set to comments or no comments. I set mine to no comments. Its where I put down my thoughts. I used to be told to write my experience down all the time but I never could, it was painful. But since coming on this forum I have used it to gather my thoughts and keep it all in one place with no comments. Some are extensions of posts. It has helped more than I ever thought it could or would. Give it a try and see how it works for you. I wish cleaning was an outlet for me, it's a drain.