Great article on how abusers see their victims

Old 04-29-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Great article on how abusers see their victims

'Our Children Want to Hurt Us': Themes of Estranged Parents' Forums | Issendai.com

Hi all. I sometimes lurk on this section when it was mentioned the traits people that have suffered my kind of abuse mirror that of an ACOA. I have in fact gotten some great insights so Thanks.
Even though they were the ones that initiated the shunning they still hold us responsible because we failed to obey the command to live life in the only way they find acceptable.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interesting. Though my abusive parents didn't care at all if I had contact with them throughout my adult life. My abusive dad would listen in and monitor phone calls to my mom and tell her it was time to get off. They never came to visit.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I suspected that would be their mentality. I have no doubt that my no contact is seen by my mother as either a way to deliberately hurt her or as me simply behaving like a bratty child. At this point in my life though I just don't care what she thinks
Old 04-30-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

My mom rewrites history. She has said things that were the complete opposite of how it was growing up. She even calls herself retired and she didn't work. In fact she used to badmouth women that did work and call them men. She had to change reality because it doesn't fit with her image of herself. I never did correct her because I didn't want her to feel bad about herself. It is just fascinating to me how these things work and one more piece to the puzzle.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You didn't want her to feel bad about herself.

Isn't it interesting how we always are concerned about their self esteem even though they couldn't have cared less about ours even when we were young children?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
My mom rewrites history. She has said things that were the complete opposite of how it was growing up. She even calls herself retired and she didn't work. In fact she used to badmouth women that did work and call them men. She had to change reality because it doesn't fit with her image of herself. I never did correct her because I didn't want her to feel bad about herself. It is just fascinating to me how these things work and one more piece to the puzzle.
My father is the same way. He is completely out of touch with reality. All he has left in life is his childish fantasies about who he thinks he is and what he thinks his life was like. All of it is complete BS. I almost feel bad for him. He is very emotionally immature. Its as if some portion of his brain never fully developed. He is an addict and I am in recovery. I often wonder why I had the ability to recover while he has just remained in his own deranged, childish, fantasy world.