Meeting fall outs

Old 08-22-2004, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meeting fall outs

Okay, how do you keep from listening to your dysfunctional thinking after a meeting? Went to a meeting and we discussed how powerful our thought process can be.

There are times when somethng happens or someone does something and I will think they have another motive behind being kind to me, or my H will tell me he is going somewhere and I don't believe him (no reason not too), but my mind will still go to work overtime. It's lots of things like this, you know, my mind will read things into a situation or not believe what has been told to me. Has anyone ever experienced this, and if so how can I work through it. It's a process thats been in my life for TOO many years, so I know it won't disappear overnight, but now that I realize I do it, I want it to stop!!! It seems like I push people away when they get too close by thinking up things or saying untrue things. Where do I start to undo this dysfunction??

These meetings are good, but the fall out afterwards is hard.

Hoping someone responds.

Kell
Old 08-22-2004, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Kell,

I do know what you are talking about and somewhere in the process of recovery those voices stopped.

Sometimes the person telling us something is someone that simply cannot be believed....that is pretty easy to let go. Make a mental note and move on.

Most people can be taken at face value until they give a reason to not trust them. If they give you reason then move them go into above category. Make a mental note and move on.

Worry can be a hard one. Experts say to visualize the worst case scenerio...realize that it is going to happen, or realize you can live through it...and move on.

A lot of it has to do with catching your thoughts while you are having them and stop them. Do something about it if you can, let them go if you can't.

Then practice practice practice...today one of my biggest gifts is that I sleep well at night.

Hugs,
JT
Old 09-19-2004, 03:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What I hate at meetings are when they just sit there in dead silence and don't speak, if I wanted to just sit there, I could do that at home with my alcoholic. Then if you jump in and say what is on your mind they say that you are cross talking, well if no one else is responding to anything then yep I am guilty. No one is perfect at these meetings and they should lighten up and let it flow sometimes.