Actually proud of myself for once

Old 02-22-2015, 12:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Actually proud of myself for once

Well folks, after a week of feeling like a nervous wreck and feeling exhausted I...

#Sold the piano!! And my therapist says however my AM feels about it is not my problem!

#FINALLY had a yard sale, today - I made THREE TIMES what I thought I would make and I feel like I did really well, it gave me a sense of achievement - not holding onto things, not putting things off. I'm going to extend the sale into tomorrow. Letting go of things, and making money that helps me feel secure, and checking a HUGE task off my to-do list - all on a sunny day - made me feel like much less of a waste of space

#I went to my second therapist appointment. She's giving me a double session next time. I feel like this is a right step in taking caring of myself. I'm scared. I think they're going to change my meds? I need to learn more about SSRIs v SNRIs (thoughts?)

#I feel like I'm definitely going to make it to my first al-anon meeting this coming week. Nervous, but I know I need to try it.

#I woke up to a flat tire when I was running late already, and I didn't blink an eye. Solved the problem, moved on.

#Had a Major Cry last night. Wept. "I miss my parents." I DO miss my parents. I feel like the grieving is upon me. I am reading about mindfulness and acceptance.

But Mostly I had a GREAT YARD SALE today and it's a HUGE RELIEF! I don't know who else will pat me on the back so holler, SR!

Last edited by seasaw; 02-22-2015 at 12:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-22-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Sounds like some good things!
Old 02-22-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think another reason yesterday felt like a big deal was that I was back to my usual charming wheeling-and-dealing self, when I've been totally avoiding social situations lately and holing up by myself instead

I know that it's because both of my parents are gone now that I wish I could get a pat on the back SOMEwhere... but I don't know what to do about that.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Congrats on the yard sale! I rarely make enough to recoup the cost of the stinkin permit. You sound good. Keep posting and let us know how the appointment goes.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on the piano! I agree with your therapist (for what that's worth LOL).
My BP is down since I blocked my AM's number - amazing what letting go will do.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seasaw View Post
#I feel like I'm definitely going to make it to my first al-anon meeting this coming week. Nervous, but I know I need to try it.
Just to calm your nerves, remember that you don't have to -- and, in fact, aren't even necessarily expected to -- say anything! Most groups go around the room reading the 12 Steps at the beginning, each person reading one step, usually -- but in terms of sharing your story, you don't have to do that. I went to a meeting today at noon and didn't say a word! Not a problem... Good luck!

T
Old 02-24-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Isn't it so wonderful to have a really good day? Even your flat tire! Taking care and control over a situation that RESPONDS is a miracle in itself! Hoping for many more for you!
Old 02-24-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone. I am becoming more and more appreciating of SR.

I'm going to start a new thread about my first meeting so other people can hopefully be encouraged to start, themselves!!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

If I don't talk during a meeting, someone usually calls shenanigans to find out what's up. Those are the days I NEED to talk but I'm isolating. In my case, it's ok that they call me on it because they know me well enough there. But for a newbie, we always let them dictate how much or how little they want to share. No pressure at all.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Each meeting is different. I've been to meetings where they go around the room one at a time (you can always say, "pass"). I've also been to meetings where members have to volunteer themselves. In my home group, there have been members who attend 6-10 meetings before they speak, and that's just fine.

Glad you've got some spring in your step! I'm wishing you luck & serenity & peace with the Al-Anon meeting. in my first meeting, I was uncontrollably sobbing when thinking about how different my father was when he cut-back and didn't drink hard liquor (but kept drinking beer). but Also, I felt like other people's shares were coming out of my own diary, my own personal story. All this stuff hidden was coming to light. A lot to take in, but OH SO healing for me.

It was like I was hearing from the diary I had thrown away, dropped in the ocean, hidden, etc. And I needed to hear from it.

Since then, I kept coming back, and I continue attending. It's like breathing air for me.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats! Selling the piano...the yard sale...therapist and starting meetings! You are moving super fast and in a very decisive direction...for the better.

I am giving you the pat on the back...and I am guessing that you will receive it from many.

:-)
Old 02-26-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seasaw View Post
#Had a Major Cry last night. Wept. "I miss my parents." I DO miss my parents. I feel like the grieving is upon me. I am reading about mindfulness and acceptance.
I miss the parents I never had, the parents I deserved to have. I don't miss the parents I had.

Congrats on selling the piano and taking control of the situation.