Heard myself

Old 10-18-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heard myself

Last night my sister called. She asked me what I was doing. When I told her laying in bed reading she said oh its that time? I said yes. ( I go to bed early. Insomnia problems) Anyway she asked how my son was doing and I told her good. Than she launches into this long tale about my eldest nephew, her oldest. Which included how proud she was of him in helping out a friend and how she was going to help as well. Blah, blah, blah.

After making a few opinions I shut up and switched into mhmhmh mode. What surprised me was this was exactly how I used to be. If I wanted to talk to someone and it wasnt a good time I would ignore that and plow on quickly to tell my story. Like my sister it would be a tale of how I was some kind of hero for helping someone whether or not it was needed or appropriate. I still struggle with those stuff at times and realized in this situation I need a big deep boundary in the sand. But, not for my sister not to cross but one for me not to cross.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
OGK

I'm sure I've said this before and I'm really sure that I say this to myself a 100 x a day. Changing the negative, embedded, traits I've clung to for so many years is such an exhausting task. I have to remind myself that "recognizing and identifying" those traits in the moment is actually a very positive step and a healthy part of the process, even if I didn't get a chance to correct them. I'm jealous too, you actually sleep? What's that like?
Thanks for sharing, I can identify.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I sleep sorta. Its weird. I can be exhausted but the minute I lay down I am wide awake for usually two more hours. Than because my dogs are a pain I am up anytime after 3. As long as I get four hours I am up. Naps are an integral part of my life.

While it is good to recognize those maladaptive behaviors I am also a bit disheartened to see them in my sister as well. Family disfunction just doesnt spare anyone.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a wonderful thread. It says something for me. I used to be your sister...I didn't know any better...and I used to be the mmmfff person...don't know really who I am now...but working to be with people who are able to 'give and take'--it is exhausting and I have a lot of resistance to it...took me several weeks to be able to overcome resistance to go to a naranon meeting recently...and I realized that I am exhausted all the time. Thank you for sharing...it helps to know that I am in good company. I love reading and need to wind down early and it takes a lot to wind down...it all takes energy.