Do Al-Anon members drink?

Old 06-19-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do Al-Anon members drink?

I realize this sounds like a stupid question, since it's best to abstain for the alcoholic's sake. But, I'm 33 and single, living away from my parents. And the reason I go to al-anon is because I'm an ACOA-Adult child of an alcoholic. A vey high functioning alcoholic. My Father isn't even aware that he is an alcoholic! I also attend Al-Anon as a support group for my codependency, people pleasing, perfectionist, boundary less behaviors that are results of being an ACOA. I also struggle with depression & anxiety. My question is, in general, do members of Al-Anon drink themselves, even if they're not alcoholics. I want to make the best of my recovery, but I do drink on occasion & not in excess. The last time I drank was one glass of wine 2 weeks ago. And I never drink alone. Just a glass or two of wine on special occasions. Is this hypocritical? Are there other Al-Anon members who drink?

I hope this is the correct forum!!!
Old 06-19-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No worries, Olemisslauren, there are no "stupid" questions

Originally Posted by Olemisslauren View Post
... And the reason I go to al-anon is because I'm an ACOA-Adult child of an alcoholic. ... I also attend Al-Anon as a support group for my codependency...
That is exactly why I go to al-anon, it's a great "general purpose" program for my "general purpose dysfunctions"

... My question is, in general, do members of Al-Anon drink themselves, even if they're not alcoholics. ...
In general, everybody has their own reasons. I know lots of alanoids who do _not_ drink at all, and just as many who are perfectly normal social drinkers.

... I want to make the best of my recovery...
In that case the only person who can determine what is right for _you_ is _you_.

... Is this hypocritical? ...
Nope. Al-anon is _not_ about drinking, or the dysfunction in other people. Al-anon is about the dysfunction in _me_. It just so happens that my dysfunction does not mix well with the dysfunction of an alcoholic, it's like throwing gasoline on a fire. If you were to remove _all_ the alcohlics in the world and leave me entirely by myself on a deserted island.... I would still be dysfunctional.

I would start to figure out ways to improve the palm trees, and expect them to be grateful to me

...I hope this is the correct forum ...
Yes, you are in the correct forum, welcome to our quiet little corner of recovery.

Mike
Moderator, SoberRecovery
Old 06-19-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And the reason I go to al-anon is because I'm an ACOA-Adult child of an alcoholic.

I do drink on occasion & not in excess.
The last time I drank was one glass of wine 2 weeks ago.
And I never drink alone.
Just a glass or two of wine on special occasions.!!!
you are one of those ones who
can enjoy a drink of booze from time to time
our hats are off to you
no reason found for you to not enjoy yourself with an occasional drink

Mountainman
Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
If you were to remove _all_ the alcohlics in the world and leave me entirely by myself on a deserted island.... I would still be dysfunctional.

I would start to figure out ways to improve the palm trees, and expect them to be grateful to me

Mike
Moderator, SoberRecovery
This is so me! I can see me trimming those trees right now and gathering those coconuts to line them up nicely for the new trees! LOL

Olemisslauren no people don't have to stop drinking if it's not a problem to attend ACoA meetings. I don't drink having had a big problem with it all throughout high school.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not required, but I haven't had a drink since my wife got sober (well, actually, not since she came home from treatment) almost 18 years ago. I never used to drink much anyway -- my standing joke was "I have one beer a month; if I really want to go on a bender, I save it for the 31st and have one before midnight and another one after!" But no -- I figured, if she's giving it up, I should, too. And I guess I've just decided that the stuff is poisonous, and I saw what it did (not to mention what it did to my parents), so why tempt fate? And of course, my usual riff about how much money you save by not drinking, etc.....

T
Old 06-21-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You sound like my mom. Both of her parents were alcoholics, and she's a light social drinker. She can easily decline an offered drink. If something comes up and she can't drink, she doesn't get huffy about it like an alcoholic would.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you notice that you're starting to put alcohol before your priorities, I would re-examine the situation. Otherwise, it sounds like you're able to be responsible about this. Kudos, my friend.