I went to a party last night . . .

Old 06-14-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I went to a party last night . . .

I attended a party last night as I want to get out of my shell and meet more friends. I was probably the only person there who did not drink alcohol, but most of the party goers drank pretty moderately with lots of water in between drinks. Only one person asked what I was drinking and she looked at my can and said, "oh, Perrier," and that was it.

It struck me how much easier my life has become without drinking. Last night, I didn't focus on where the alcohol was, nor worry about how much was left. I didn't worry about slurring my words, being loud, or being stupid. I didn't worry about getting too flirty (my husband didn't attend this party). I didn't worry about driving home safely or if there would be enough booze at home for my "night cap". I ate more delicious food than I normally would have and that was okay and very enjoyable because I wasn't sucking down hundreds of pointless calories of liquid poison. I had a wonderful time. I was dignified and I have my self respect intact. I had a wonderful night's sleep (no waking up to the fiery pain of my stomach ulcers or my overwhelming 3 am self imposed wake-up call filled with anxiety, shame and dread). I actually kissed my teenagers goodnight and conversed normally with them before turning in. I remember every moment of the entire lovely evening. And, I must not have been a terrible teetotaler bore because I have a lunch date set up with a new friend and another person asked me to be a facebook friend. I can't believe how much alcohol complicates everything. It feels so good to feel free! (btw, I was a drinker for 27 years since I was 15 years old and I have been sober 8.5 months) Do whatever it takes to get through your craving hurdles because the freedom and pride your get from sobriety are invaluable.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry guys, I meant to post that in the newcomers forum. As you can see, I am a Double Winner!
Old 06-15-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
It struck me how much easier my life has become without drinking.
Don't forget the money we save in restaurants -- CH-CHING!!!!

T
Old 06-15-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sobriety is more wonderful than I ever could have imagined.

Great post, DoubleDragons.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lovely post, DoubleDragons. Filled with hope and honesty. No worries about the double post, it is always wonderful to hear from an ACA who is breaking the cycle of addiction.

oh, and congrats on the 8 1/2 months

Mike
Moderator, SR
Old 06-18-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I quit drinking in February, after getting clean from my DOC's on Dec. 4th.

I went to go see male strippers a couple of weeks ago; my friends drank, I did not. It was nice to save money (pop was FREE!! ), and not worry the next day if I looked like a drunken mess. And, best of all, I was actually the loudest one at our table yelling at the strippers!! Don't know how that happened, lol!! I went out dancing afterwards for a bit, and was happy to see that I can still go out with the girls and not have to depend on alcohol to have fun.

Yay for no more drunken embarrassing pictures!!!