Anyone else have difficulties with impostor syndrome?

Old 05-07-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else have difficulties with impostor syndrome?

I do. I have been in my present job now about two years--and I still experience it. I should add I've experienced it at times before this job.

My Al Anon sponsor says things like, "They hired you--they must have thought you were qualified," and so on. I hear her, but my gut feels otherwise.

Your experience, strength, and hope?
Old 05-09-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First off, you have an excellent sponsor.

I know I don't have IS, but I'll go with "crazy hypocrite" - I'm always seeking approval from others for what I think I DO deserve, and then when I get a genuine compliment I have a really hard time believing it. Funny, even when I think I do deserve it, I would rather talk about my "good work" in a logical sense - not have all of the focus on me. Otherwise, I think everyone else will think I'm on a pedestal.

I also have a bad habit of trying to be my ideal version of the perfect _________. Example, I'm a customer service rep for employment, so I'm always trying to fit the mold of what I think the perfect rep should be - happy, polite, honest, etc. I'm also a chair person at my NA meetings, so I'm always trying to be the "perfect NA chairperson".

I'm wondering if you've tried talking to a professional in regards to these issues?

Also, to be perfectly honest - if you weren't qualified, they would've let you go awhile ago. If you've been there for 2 years you're doing something right. When was your last review?
Old 05-09-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kudzujean View Post
I do. I have been in my present job now about two years--and I still experience it. I should add I've experienced it at times before this job.

My Al Anon sponsor says things like, "They hired you--they must have thought you were qualified," and so on. I hear her, but my gut feels otherwise.

Your experience, strength, and hope?
I remember reading an article by Keith Olbermann -- when he was at the anchor desk on ESPN -- 'fessing up to the fact that he felt like an impostor. "Here I am on national TV, broadcasting to thousands or millions of people, and thinking sooner or later, I'm going to get found out and fired for being incompetent," or something to that effect.

I've felt the same way, on a much smaller scale, obviously -- in a big meeting with 30 other reasonably-high-paid consultants (or at least not-cheap consultants), and thinking, I'm the only one in the room who doesn't know what the h3ll he's doing! I've never heard that from a client, though -- they've always liked my work. Maybe they're all idiots?

T
Old 05-10-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Last review was in November, and it was a good one.

Over the years I've talked to counselors lots, but don't recall talking about this specific issue. May be a possibility.