Are my issues related to being an ACOA?

Old 04-17-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emmy8466 View Post
I am hoping he takes an interest in it and hopefully sobriety as well, but that's his decision, not mine. See, I'm already learning. lol.
#excellent #KeepComingBack

T
Old 05-01-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I remember the first time I was told my depression/suicidal thoughts (and previous attempts) were a by-product of my dad's many, many years of drinking and that I'm an ACOA. I was FURIOUS! I thought "How dare they? Can't they see I'm crazy?! They're trying to just slide this under the rug, those mofos!!" I was told prior that I might've been bi-polar or BPD, so at the time I was thinking a label would mean an instant fix LOL.

When I actually did the research, I was floored by how much I could relate. I took out a number of books from the library and lost myself in it. I had to take breaks from reading because it would bring old forgotten memories. I'm now trying to work on my codependency as well, while still working on being an ACOA.

I suggest going to your local library and taking out a few books on the subject, as well as Codependency if you'd like to. It is absolutely astonishing the amount of damage a person's addiction can leave on a child.