transferring feelings

Old 06-14-2004, 06:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

transferring feelings

Does this happen to nay of you? I have this pattern in which I could be really happy over something that has happened like getting a new job or promotion and then I talk to someone who is in a bad mood and they don't express any happiness or congratulate me and just keep venting their own bad feelings then I somehow get this feeling that I didn't do good enough and that this good thing that just happened to me is nothing. I start to mentally dismiss it.
And then I add this domino thing to it which means that I start seeing boogey-men in everything and after a while I too feel like nothing is going my way even thought I was just Miss Sunshine a minute ago. What in the world is this?????
Old 06-14-2004, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey chess,
I've been know to absorb someone else's feelings.
I also have a habit of feeling other people's pain.
For me, it's the caretaker in me.
If I absorb their feelings, or feel their pain, I think I am somehow helping them.
That's not true, but it's the rationalization I use.
For me, it's not realizing where I end and someone else begins.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Me too Chess...I have been known to do what you describe, but as I have become more in touch with who I am and what is important to me, myself and I it has become so much less important what other people think.

JT
Old 06-15-2004, 03:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me too. I find I can be in a good mood and then my AH picks me up at work and is just grumpy. I try conversation and get more grumps. I have been trying to just ignore it and think of good things. Like a baby's laughter or a good song or a good joke. Does that mean I am blocking it out or just trying to stay in the good place. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

My work puts me in a very intimate situation with others. For the most part I am able to detach, every now and then though I am in contact with someone that really downs me out, then I go home to my already depressed H...... My best solution for this is to pray and meditate and seek the will of my HP. It can take me a couple of days to snap out of it though and I might sleep a little more for a day or so as well. Sometimes I have to take a day off....