Living with boyfriend's dad who is an alcoholic.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Living with boyfriend's dad who is an alcoholic.

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum. I don't know why I haven't thought of this, going through forums to forums,
reading people's stories. It took me 2 years to finally register and also read other people's stories.
Please excuse my grammars, I am not great with grammars. I will try to re-read what I typed to make sure you guys understand.

I moved to my boyfriend's house. He lives with his parents. His dad has been addicted to alcoholism
and only addicted (preferably) to vodka since they first came to America, which was 10 years ago.
His English isn't that great, so his social skills are low. He has trusting issues because of his past experiences,
so he has only one friend. His one friend also has drinking problem as well, so he cannot fix his drinking problem.

Every night, I hear him screaming and crying so loud, that it just scares me. My boyfriend is so embarrassed
and so upset that he has to deal with this. His parents, both doesn't have a job. His father always rant out
on his wife, sometimes he threatens her that he will kill her when he's drunk. I've heard it a lot when I lived
here with them. He doesn't eat anymore, so he's super skinny and bony. He went to the
hospital and the doctor said his liver is okay, but advised to stop drinking.

I've heard about my boyfriend's dad's past stories. I am pretty sure he has depression since I went
through depression (and still is). His both parents passed away when he was young, most of his older
siblings passed away as well. Because of that, he tried to connect with his family. I think family bonding
was the issue. Although, we have tried to understand him, but he keeps thinking negative. He thinks
I don't like him, just because I don't talk to him very often. I have social skills problem as well,
I don't like to talk with older people because they tend to criticize everything I do (I'm very sensitive).
And he does criticize me a lot, judges my appearance and my personality. So basically,
he doesn't know how to continue conversations, he just makes things awkward for everyone.
He is somewhat considerate when he's not drunk. He treats me like his daughter, way
better than my own dad, who chooses career over family.

My advice was that he should move out of this house. His father said he was planning to,
but it's really unfair that he has to drink everyday, scare people everyday with his bloody screaming.
I don't even know when he's planning to move out. I think he just said that to test his family.
He loves classical and 60's music, his age is around 60. He loved writing,
but stopped after drinking. When he's depressed and drunk, he would listen
to Beethoven SUPER LOUD that when you're in every room, you can hear it.
We live in a house and you can hear his music everywhere, even outside.
And he would just CRYYYYYYY and WAILLLLLLLLL. At first, I felt bad for him,
but he does it everyday for 2 years, I have no pity over him anymore, sadly.
Although, I do want to help him. At least, I can do.

My boyfriend's sister was much closer to her dad and she tried to help, but it got worse.
I realized sympathy isn't the key to help his addiction. She thought she can buy him
more drinks to get in a better relationship with her dad, but it got worse.
So she moved out, because she couldn't take it anymore. He took advantage of
her by telling her to do this and that for him when she's already going through a lot.
He was being insensitive to her. So she moved out with her husband.

I've never encountered someone who had alcoholism addiction before. He was the first person.
I don't drink either. I've never gotten drunk. I'm sort of against drinking alcohol,
but try to respect those who wants to drink it to socialize.

I'll give you a little more details about him. He always talks about his past, the negative parts
of his past all the time, brings about regrets and just verbally abuse his family with it.
He never blames himself, he always blames someone else for his mistakes. He loves talking,
only to his family and his one friend. We did give him that for a year, but it wasn't enough, he says.
He just became spoiled. He acts like a greedy king, so full of himself.

He already has memory issues from drinking. My boyfriend started recording his
dad's yelling and crying since last month. To show proof that his dad is crazy when he's drinking.
His dad doesn't believe us that he's crazy like that.

His wife gets so scared of him. She tries to sleep with us. But sometimes she would try to
check up on him to see what he will do (I'm guessing something bad).
She would say "Can I sleep in your guy's closet" that's how much fear she had.

Last night, it was my first time to get all shaky. I was scared as **** my body was
shaking and I thought I was going to faint. His dad came upstairs trying to apologize for yelling.
To us, apology wasn't enough, we wanted action. An action of proof,
that he will stop drinking. Boyfriend was trying to explain his frustration (he's been bottled up his emotions),
explained extra thoughts he's been frustrated with. His dad, stubborn like usual, blames again,
yells at his son. I really thought he was going to hit my boyfriend, so I was crying and shaking yesterday.

Do you think it's best to just kick him out? I don't think he appreciates anything, at all.
Boyfriend bought him a nice speakers, over $400. We're not even rich, we're struggling with money,
but at least we did something for him. THAT, wasn't enough, his dad says.
His dad wanted something better, over $5,000 cost of speakers. He thinks he deserves it better.
He's been spoiled for a very long time, so he doesn't appreciate littlest thing.
He refuses to go out and eat at restaurants. He refuses so many things.

What's best to do? Just kick him out of the house? That's what I think.
I don't think like this because I hate him. I still have some care for him, that is why I am posting this.
I apologize if this sounded like a rant and long. If you guys read all this, I really appreciate that you had the time to read this.

Oh and, I think he should live like a homeless person, to realize how lucky he was,
to have a house, a family that cares, a car, money, etc. He really is ungrateful when
he's drinking or not drinking. Even now, at 11:26am right now,
I hear him screaming so loud, that it scares me to death. Help?

Old 12-07-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi! You've certainly walked into a tempest. Why would you want to live there? Why don't you move out? I got out from my alcoholic dad when I was 18, lived with many roommates. It's pretty hard to kick out the alcoholic, who will do this? Will he leave just because someone tells him to leave? I doubt it. Who is going to stop him from coming home? Is your boyfriend ready to leave?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If it's his dad's house, you can't kick his dad out. Do you and your boyfriend have jobs?
Old 12-08-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This living situation, and your boyfriend's father's alcoholism, is clearly in the way of your happiness. Even before happiness, your right to feeling safe and secure in your own home. I would figure out a new living situation ASAP. These situations usually escalate - it doesn't look like it's going to turn around anytime soon. By allowing him to live there for the past two years, and watching him spin out of control, you guys may be acting as enablers. If your boyfriend doesn't agree to his father moving out, you should really consider finding a new place to live for the time being. In a few years, you'll be looking back thinking "I can't believe I spent so much time in a house with such unsafe craziness and negativity!" Don't let it be 20 years!