Breaking No Contact with Hospitalized, Codie Grandmother...

Old 08-02-2013, 12:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Breaking No Contact with Hospitalized, Codie Grandmother...

So, I haven't been around much since our daughter was born in October, but I try to check in every now and then and at least read. I still haven't talked to my AM or bipolar enabling narcissistic sister (over a year now), and I finally had to go NC with my grandmother around Mother's Day of this year. I got an email today from my mom's on-again-off-again boyfriend (holy codependent, Batman!) saying that my grandmother was in the hospital, and the doctors think it's her heart. I mulled that over for a bit and then called my RA aunt (mom's sister), whom I still talk to since she's the only other person who sees our family for what it really is. She asked if I wanted the hospital number to call my grandmother. I said yes and I did call her.

I don't know what I was expecting, but she didn't sound surprised at all. Actually, she sounded like she always would, aside from being tired and obviously not well. Once I hung up, it hit me that I may have just opened a can of worms again and could be starting from scratch with her. I know that calling was the right thing to do. I love her, but I can't take her guilt tripping me every time I call. She still doesn't understand why my children can't go visit (3,000 miles away) or call them. I feel like I can't just go back to not speaking to her at all, but I don't know how to approach future phone calls in the short term. She's almost 90, so her position on her raging A daughter isn't likely to change. I gave up on that years ago. How should I go about handling this? I feel like this right now