my dry drunk mother is giving me the silent treatment

Old 08-01-2013, 11:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Happy belated birthday, Reedling! I'm so glad you got a healthier cake and everyone liked it!

What the hey is it with crazy parents and DQ cakes? My AM insists on a DQ cake for everyone's birthday. I personally would rather have my own grain free, xylitol or stevia sweetened cake. Grains and sugar are poison. At least modern grains. The grains consumed back in biblical times were old and fermented, not genetically modified and devoid of any real nutritional value. They (along with beans) affect the production of the hormone leptin, which signals when you're full and is very closely linked to diabetes. We don't eat completely grain free in our home because, well, I love corn and rice, but we consume very little. The difference when we cut out almost all grains and sugar was amazing. More energy, better mood, and weight loss without any extra effort (exercise is still required!). My husband's bloods came back within normal limits within two weeks. If you would like some of my grain free recipes, I'd be happy to share! Diabetes runs in my family, so I know how important it is to eat well (and hey, limiting grains has made me severely intolerant to alcohol. Bonus!).
Old 08-02-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Oh, and. On my 21st birthday I was hospitalized with a Crohn's Disease flare, and was on a banana bag diet. What did my lovely family do? They brought a half-sheet cake for themselves to enjoy, complete with candles. I got fruit juice popsicles that had been pre-approved by my doctor as a birthday "treat." If I wasn't so dehydrated already, I would have cried. One of the galley workers snuck me a piece of orange pound cake with frosting later that day, though. I don't know what it is about hospital pound cake, but that stuff is amazing. lol