Al Anon

Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Al Anon

I signed up for this site last year, and since day one I have been getting encouraged to go to counseling which is free at my university and al anon. I recently have gotten in touch with the group in my area. Its taken me so long just to send an email. I have a cycle of being okay for months at a time then experiencing something bad and taping in to deep rooted emotions. After this I come on here for support, which is fine to me, but I also look into counseling or other support. Whats not fine is the second I start feeling better, which is usually after I get caring advice from the members on this support site , I just forget about the counseling. Thinking about it gives me so much fears, so much uncertainty. I was wondering if someone could just describe what happens at al anon meeting for me, I would really appreciate knowing a little more. I know I probably sound silly but something is stopping me from taking the next step and I want to rid my self of that. Im sure its a combination of fear and anger. I feel as if I am in a good place and stirring up those feelings for my alcoholic father just reminds me of something I never want to feel again.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The alanon meetings I have gone to were on Saturday morning in large old mansion that was devoted to several AA meetings. We sat in a big circle around a couple tables. People that wanted to, spoke, others listened. Then we broke up into small groups of 3 or so and those who wanted to spoke again. No pressure. Most people were very nice, a few were sad, one was agitated. I introduced myself but didn't speak really. There was literature for sale or donation. It lasted less than two hours and we were dismissed.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello STaylor98

Originally Posted by STaylor98 View Post
... I just forget about the counseling. Thinking about it gives me so much fears, so much uncertainty. I was wondering if someone could just describe what happens at al anon meeting for me, I would really appreciate knowing a little more. I know I probably sound silly ...
Not silly at all I think almost everybody is aprehensive about their first al-anon meeting. I sure was, to the point that I drove to a meeting 2 _hours_ away just to make sure I didn't bump into anybody that knew me.

I put together a few links on the subject. See if any of this helps you out.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ings-like.html

Mike
Moderator, SR