Holy cow! I am not crazy! And there's people that get it!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holy cow! I am not crazy! And there's people that get it!

Hey all.
Just started this today. New to whole forum concept so posted my story about my mom on Friends & Family instead of ACOA. Whoops! Will get the hang of this yet
But goodness. I have been riveted to this all night. People actually understand and deal with the same crap I do all the time! What a relief! Talking to my friends and fam is good, but talking on here to people that have been where I am at and that have gotten through what I am trying very hard to overcome is so unbelievably liberating. Thank you to everyone here who has shared their story. I am crying right now and it is GOOD crying. Not the hopeless, soul-tearing crying I have been doing for so many years.
Thank you thank you thank you!!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello there AtATotalLoss, and pleased to "meet" you

Originally Posted by AtATotalLoss View Post
... posted my story about my mom on Friends & Family instead of ACOA. ....
No worries This is a "stress-free" zone. Nobody will bother you about that kind of trivia.

... People actually understand ... is so unbelievably liberating. ....
Oh yes, I know exactly what you mean. It's like I can finally let my guard down and not have to pretend that I "fit in" like an "normal" person. Here I can _not_ fit in and whadya know? I actually do fit in !!

* lol *

... I am crying right now and it is GOOD crying. ....
well... I'm glad it's a good cry Cry all you want, we'll pass the "virtual" tissues

Mike
Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just still finding all of this almost too good to believe. That there are SO SO many people sharing my same experiences. Some of what people have written are things I have said almost verbatim in my life dealing with my mom. I feel like I won the lottery!!
And I am an admitted weirdo and haven't ever cared about "fitting in" Have always been too focused on getting through my day-to-day, you know?
Is it normal that I have been crying then will read a post that makes me laugh then will read one that makes me furious?
At any rate, I am thinking I am going to become a regular around here. Is very comforting to know I am not alone...
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just still finding all of this almost too good to believe. That there are SO SO many people sharing my same experiences. Some of what people have written are things I have said almost verbatim in my life dealing with my mom. I feel like I won the lottery!!
And I am an admitted weirdo and haven't ever cared about "fitting in" Have always been too focused on getting through my day-to-day, you know?
Is it normal that I have been crying then will read a post that makes me laugh then will read one that makes me furious?
At any rate, I am thinking I am going to become a regular around here. Is very comforting to know I am not alone...

I am new here too, and feel the same way as you. I am going through the whole gamut of emotions too. Even when I am not reading, I find myself thinking of things I read earlier on this forum, and will start crying.

Glad you're here!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. It's not fair, and it's not normal, but you aren't alone. We get it. And we all do messed up things and have messed up thoughts, so no judgements.

P.S. the limerick thread in another forum on SR makes me cry. Yes, limericks.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LOL so true. This forum has many people that truly understand and get it because they (we) lived it. You are not alone. Keep reading and posting whenever you need to get something off your chest.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! I suspect we all have lived with the denial and being told none of it is what it looks like. When we see so many others here telling the same story, we finally KNOW we're not crazy, that it really was happening.

At times I have felt that if I tell what really happened, people's only possible reaction must be: "That's crazy. You MUST be leaving something out. What did you REALLY do to MAKE them do that?" After a particularly noxious 'conversation' with my dad several years ago, in which I was accused of everything under the sun, including being blamed for other people's behavior, I looked up scapegoating and found a post here. I think I felt the same as you are describing, relieved, overjoyed, recognizing the same stories over and over that had been happening in my family.

I'm glad you found us. There is healing here.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by EveningRose View Post
Welcome! I suspect we all have lived with the denial and being told none of it is what it looks like. When we see so many others here telling the same story, we finally KNOW we're not crazy, that it really was happening.

At times I have felt that if I tell what really happened, people's only possible reaction must be: "That's crazy. You MUST be leaving something out. What did you REALLY do to MAKE them do that?" After a particularly noxious 'conversation' with my dad several years ago, in which I was accused of everything under the sun, including being blamed for other people's behavior, I looked up scapegoating and found a post here. I think I felt the same as you are describing, relieved, overjoyed, recognizing the same stories over and over that had been happening in my family.

I'm glad you found us. There is healing here.
My closest friends all know that truth is stranger than fiction when it comes to having an alcoholic parent. Welcome, AtATotalLoss. I'm glad you've found a place where you "fit in" with the misfits!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Hi...I am one of the misfit gang, nice to meet you! Post away!