Please welcome findmeintahiti

Old 01-20-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please welcome findmeintahiti

I relate to trumpet- my father just died of Cirrhosis of the liver & liver cancer that spread. Once diagnosed, about a month ago- he could receive no treatment and we were aware he would die. He passed last week and a half ago, about an hour after I left his house. I was able to turn around in the car and go help my mom. It was hard to see him there one moment and his spirit gone the next. I am taking care of all the affairs for my mom, who also drinks but it was always in the background of my dad's alcoholism. I am 8 years sober and made my peace with him and I miss our uncomplicated conversations on the phone these past few years- I got him, the drunk because I was one as well...but struggle to hear my moms voice on the phone when I call to hear she's been drinking. I have aweful memories of childhood and I don't know how to process all the different emotions right now. I know I will be going through a grief process, I am hoping someone can recommend a book that might be helpful. My brother was pretty distant from him and not a source of much help at this time- we don't even talk about it. I have looked through some books but they were about this great loving relationship and parent/child thing which I didn't have, so is not helpful. Appreciate any help.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss findme.

I have no personal experience to share but I wanted to welcome you to SR - there's a lot of support here

D
Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello findmeintahiti, and welcome to SoberRecovery

I am sorry to hear about the death of your dad. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you to have to deal with your mom drinking at this time.

Originally Posted by findmeintahiti View Post
... I have aweful memories of childhood and I don't know how to process all the different emotions right now...
You are in the right place. Processing emotions is one of the challenges we deal with here. I lost my father, uncle and aunt in a 3 week period, all from alcoholism. I think I went thru all the emotions a human could have as I stumbled my way thru that time in my life.

... I am hoping someone can recommend a book that might be helpful. ...
Sure, here's a few suggestions that I have found helpful:

Amazon.com: Recovery: A Guide for Adult Children of Alcoholics (9780671645281): Herbert L. Gravitz, Julie D. Bowden: Books

ACA Fellowship Text

We have some discussions on books that the members recommend here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...oks-acoas.html

Welcome again, I hope we can be of some comfort to you as you manage thru this hardship.

Mike
Moderator, SR
Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have looked through some books but they were about this great loving relationship and parent/child thing which I didn't have, so is not helpful. Appreciate any help.
Welcome tahiti! I'm sorry you are going through this. I think you will find some understanding here. The book listed above is a great help. My siblings don't talk at all about our life growing up either. We have all pretty much gone our own way. I have found it to be a relief now that both my parents are dead, Alcoholic Dad and enabler Mom.

Your quote above reminds me of every Fathers Day and Mothers Day trying to find a card but they were all for great loving relationships. I understand.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Survivor

I just wanted to show some support. My parents have been separated my entire life and I didn't meet my father until I was an adult. Both are alcoholics.

I believe you are in the right place. When I realized I was an ACOA, and started learning about what that meant, I got a great deal of clarity. Going to Al-Anon meetings, getting a sponsor, and having a recovery program is helping me heal in a way that counseling and self help books never could. Having a higher power helps me to feel whole. Doing the 12 steps is helping me learn a great deal about myself and how human I am. And that it is okay to be human and to not be perfect

Glad you are here with us.

Love,

Lily
Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
Hello findmeintahiti, and welcome to SoberRecovery

ACA Fellowship Text

Mike
Moderator, SR

Thank you. I didn't know such a book existed. (ACA Fellowship text)