Korsakov Syndrome

Old 01-07-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Korsakov Syndrome

So I'm stuck with an incoherent, incontinent shell that was my mother once. Got the call a week ago that she was in hospital. I had done a pretty good job of keeping her at arms length until then. She lived a good few thousand miles away and the occasional phone call wasnt too much of a chore.

She has been an alcoholic for as long as I can remember but when my father (another alcy) died last year she lost all semblance of normal functioning. I was expecting a phone call to say she was dead at some point but not to find what I found when I got there.

They had discharged her from the hospital and she was back in the drifts of her own filth, sat on a **** soaked sofa gibbering incessantly about the stream of long dead family members who had just been in to visit. I feel cheated out of the coma and death part.

I'm loading her with thiamine at the moment just in case she isnt too far gone. I dont know what else to do with her. She isn't insured here. She isnt insured where she was living and she isnt insured back in the UK where she came from because she has been non-resident for so long.

I'm considering dropping her off at the British embassy with her passport and letting them sort it out but I don't think I could live with myself if I did.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((((Aza)))). My heart truly aches for you both, how awful! You might call the local Alcoholics Anonymous and see if they have any referrals for her. Salvation Army might know, so it can't hurt to give them a call. I assume she's indigent? You can also call your local hospital social services and see how they might be able to help.

My very good and dear friend just went through this with her mom. I believe she got some help from the priest at her church.

Please continue to post. there's lots of good moral support here on SR. I'll keep you and your mom in my best thoughts. you're not alone.

Love from Lenina
Old 01-07-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Azatoth

I'm sorry for your situation too - I have no local knowledge, but I think Lenina's suggestions are a great head start?

D
Old 01-11-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for what you are facing. What a terrible thing to go through. I hope so much you are able to get help somewhere.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dbh

Thinking about you azathoth and hoping that you were able to find help.

I was in a similar situation with my father. He developed dementia and suddenly couldn't take care of himself. He lived in an apartment and had no savings.

He was in and out of hospitals and mental health facilities until we found a place that would take him.

It took a lot of phone calls and telling his/our story over and over again. Some social workers were more helpful than others. People that couldn't help often gave me numbers of other organizations that I could try.

It was such a stressful time in my life, but in ended up helping me heal.

Sending positive thoughts to both you and your mom.

db
Old 01-28-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi azathoth - my heart goes out to you.

The only suggestion I have, is to do some research for state programs, or that may refer you to indexes of community resources.

Has she been here long enough to qualify for social security disability?