Helpful Books

Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Helpful Books

Hello all.

It's been just a few days since I decided I needed help and joined SR. But, in those few days, I have learned so much. I really appreciate all of the support I've been given here

This morning, my copy of the book Perfect Daughters by Robert J. Ackerman arrived. I am halfway through it already and it is really incredible. I strongly urge any daughter of an alcoholic to look into it. It has really helped me to understand why I act the way I do. Also, my boyfriend bought, and is almost finished with, the book Loving an Adult Child of an Alcoholic by Douglas Bey. He tells me it is really helping him understand why I do the things I do. I recommend that anyone in a relationship with an ACOA reads it.

All of this new understanding shows gives me hope for all of us adult children out there.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Reading is so helpful, it really takes us to the next step in our growth. I'm glad you found a book that works for you. I wonder if it is on the list in our books stickie posted above*. Maybe a mod could add it.

* http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...oks-acoas.html
Old 01-05-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kialua View Post
... Maybe a mod could add it....
Certainly I could It is now added. Any other books that I may have missed? I don't want to add _all_ the books on the subject, just the ones that members personally recommend.

Mike

( us volunteers are quite busy with peeps in all kinds of pain, I tend to skip right over book discussions because there's always several emergencies going on around SR. If I've missed anything please feel free to send me a PM )
Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks! And thanks for all your help for those suffering.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would like to add that codependency for dummies has been quite helpful in journey.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Facing Codependence: What It Is, Where It Comes from, How It Sabotages Our Lives
Facing Codependence: What It Is, Where It Comes from, How It Sabotages Our Lives: Pia Mellody, Andrea Wells Miller, J. Keith Miller: 8601300050201: Amazon.com: Books

This is one I pick up now and again - it's somewhat broad in its subject matter and more prosaic than academic, but it did introduce me to the concept of codependence, and was the first resource that made me think "Hey... that sounds like my mom and I." It definitely provided me with some lightbulb moments.

When You and Your Mother Can't Be Friends: Resolving the Most Complicated Relationship of Your Life
When You and Your Mother Can't Be Friends: Resolving the Most Complicated Relationship of Your Life: Victoria Secunda: 9780385304238: Amazon.com: Books

This book was IMMENSELY helpful to me, especially when it came time to go NC. I scoured shelf after shelf but only found books on how to resolve and repair... I needed reduction and, finally, total renunciation. This book really helped with the feelings around that, societal pressure, etc.

Surviving a Borderline Parent: How to Heal Your Childhood Wounds and Build Trust, Boundaries, and Self-Esteem
http://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Bord...ent+borderline

I don't know how much of what my mom did was due to mental illness, pills, alcohol, or what. But hearing some of my experience and her treatment of me acknowledged and validated in this book was very helpful. "You mean that's not normal?"
Old 02-08-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the books and links, I have added them to the "stickies".

Mike
Old 02-08-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bubblepop23 View Post
This morning, my copy of the book Perfect Daughters by Robert J. Ackerman arrived. I am halfway through it already and it is really incredible. I strongly urge any daughter of an alcoholic to look into it. It has really helped me to understand why I act the way I do.
Thanks for the book recommendation. This one is often recommended, it seems. Do you think it would be good for someone whose alcoholic parent has already passed away?
Old 02-09-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for this recommend:
When You and Your Mother Can't Be Friends: Resolving the Most Complicated Relationship of Your Life
Think I'll look it up.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ajarlson i ESPECIALLY recommend that one for you