email to my father

Old 11-20-2012, 11:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am in tears reading this, amazing letter.
I don't think I will ever write such a thing for my mother, I have long given up on her ever admitting any issues much less asking for feedback.
I hope for the best for you and your family. At least you can feel that nothing has gone unsaid.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Dearest Father,
You asked me recently why I claim to be afraid of you. I did not know, as usual, how to answer, partly for the very reason that I am afraid of you, partly because an explanation of my fear would require more details than could even begin to make coherent in speech. And if I now try to answer in writing it will still be nowhere near complete, because even in writing my fear and its consequences raise a barrier between us and because the magnitude of material far exceeds my memory and my understanding.

To you the matter always seemed very simple, at least in as far as you spoke about it in front of me and, indiscriminately, in front of many others.
To you it seemed like this: you had worked hard your whole life, sacrificed everything for your children, particularly me, as a result I lived “like a lord”, had complete freedom to study whatever I wanted, knew where my next meal was coming from and therefore had no reason to worry about anything; for this you asked no gratitude, you know how children show their gratitude, but at least some kind of cooperation, a sign of sympathy; instead I would always hide away from you in my room, buried in books, with crazy friends and eccentric ideas; we never spoke openly...

This is a long letter, with the same motivations as your letter.
Here's the whole thing:
Letter to my Father by Franz Kafka
Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I didn't read the whole thing, and probably won't, but this stood out to me:

Your opinion was correct, every other was mad, wild, meshugge, not normal. Your self-confidence indeed was so great that you had no need to be consistent at all and yet never ceased to be in the right.
This is my AF. His opinion is always correct. He knows everything. He can do everything. He's never, ever wrong.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EveningRose View Post
I didn't read the whole thing, and probably won't, but this stood out to me:

This is my AF. His opinion is always correct. He knows everything. He can do everything. He's never, ever wrong.
Same here. I never, not once, heard my Dad apologize or admit to having been wrong about anything. In his mind, there was never any need! I mean not once in 47 years!

T
Old 11-22-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AcceptingChange View Post
Dearest Father,
You asked me recently why I claim to be afraid of you. I did not know, as usual, how to answer, partly for the very reason that I am afraid of you, partly because an explanation of my fear would require more details than could even begin to make coherent in speech. And if I now try to answer in writing it will still be nowhere near complete, because even in writing my fear and its consequences raise a barrier between us and because the magnitude of material far exceeds my memory and my understanding.

To you the matter always seemed very simple, at least in as far as you spoke about it in front of me and, indiscriminately, in front of many others.
To you it seemed like this: you had worked hard your whole life, sacrificed everything for your children, particularly me, as a result I lived “like a lord”, had complete freedom to study whatever I wanted, knew where my next meal was coming from and therefore had no reason to worry about anything; for this you asked no gratitude, you know how children show their gratitude, but at least some kind of cooperation, a sign of sympathy; instead I would always hide away from you in my room, buried in books, with crazy friends and eccentric ideas; we never spoke openly...

This is a long letter, with the same motivations as your letter.
Here's the whole thing:
Letter to my Father by Franz Kafka
Wow. I could have written that. Well, no -- I'm no Kafka... but that relationship was very much like the one I had with my father.

T
Old 11-22-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tromboneliness View Post
Wow. I could have written that. Well, no -- I'm no Kafka... but that relationship was very much like the one I had with my father.

T
To me it struck a chord with what I think we (all of us here) were discussing in another thread: that the AF/AM asks what's wrong and then dismisses, denies, or gets angry with our answer.

They demand answers and we're damned if we answer them and damned if don't. Just another no-win in a long series of no-wins.