Suggestions: Stepmother telling us father seriously ill

Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suggestions: Stepmother telling us father seriously ill

We went none to very little (calls on Father's Day or his birthday and maybe one in the fall) contact with family. I call on a landline that I keep unplugged but she still reaches us via emails to my sister who even has my husband's work email. Changed all other phone numbers.

Even going no contact they still find a way to reach me.

Stepmother had history of lying about serious medical problems and she had a Power of Attorney for the children to be told nothing.

An APS worker told me the police would do a security check if she tried this again (she had previously called to say he was having a heart attack or was unable to breath and would not make it through the night - lies) - which worked wonderfully.

Now he is in the hospital and she is at it again - sent out emails that he had a serious neck injury and may not be able to walk or use his arms.

We were only referred to a social worker who would not talk to us.

My brother finally reached him and found out he was in for food poisoning from something she served him.

I sit in dread of what she will send next and none of the nurses or doctors are able to tell us anything.

Researched a Restraining Order and that looks expensive and is a court procedure and we don't have any evidence.

Also, you can't send out an officer to a hospital for a security check.

Talked to him and he does other health problems but if we cannot reach him we have no info - she is back in charge of maliciously scaring us.

Alcoholic history: my Mom was an alcoholic (she passed away) and stepmother married my father - still a dysfunctional family.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If you truly want no contact, perhaps your husband can set his work email to move any emails from your sister to his deleted items folder. I have that ability at my workplace and it would keep all of you from hearing from your stepmother.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I lived with this all my life growing up. My alcoholic father would tell us that our mother would die soon and she played the part willingly. She continued with this all her life even after his death. She would go to the doctor, report lies that I witnessed first hand when I went with, and then get hospitalized several times a year for always(!) inconclusive tests that ran the gamut of bumped toe to supposed heart attack.

Scared us to death so often that even when I was next to her lying on her deathbed at 97 two of my siblings didn't believe she was dying and didn't come to see her –and they feel no remorse, nor do I blame them whatsoever.

So with your scenario it's really hard to know the truth, especially if you can't call and ask the floor nurse. Tell her flat out, that you won't believe it until the doctor or nurse tells you and if she doesn't want to change permissions so be it. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The idea of blocking sister's email (she fully believed this lie) at work sounds good.

The administrative clerk checked on this and visited him to get a release form for him to sign. Asked him some questions. They then told me something was odd because he was in full use of his faculties (was not 'non compis mentis').

Only people who are not able to make decisions for themselves have Power of Attorney.

I suspect she forged his signature.

But this I refuse to waste my time on the fact she may have forged it.

The absurd drama of it all. And thanks to the poster that mentioned they had this happen to them also. Where you don't even pay attention to it.

Now I am studying bulllying (as that is what she is doing to me) and how to stop that if she somehow manages to get through - and she will - even if she has to come to my house - but that would be trespassing and I would pursue that.

The no contact with my family was such a peaceful time.

To become emeshed in this Power of Attorney is just bringing back the toxicity.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

You can report harassment directly to the phone company and get a number blocked. My ex-husband and MIL had to do that when my AM was calling and leaving profanity-laced voice messages on their phones. You can report email for harassment as well.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

NWGRITS thanks for that tip. That might work but for the fact she would easily buy another phone to call in. She also puts something to bypass the caller id on my phone. Also they have landlines. This comes out of nowhere and now I know to take a photo of the call number on caller id and have some evidence.

NoelleR you messaged me that a person does not have to be incompetent to have a Power of Attorney. You are right. But in this instance with this case called into the corporate offices (where they reached their lawyers) this is what they told me - he is not incompetent for it to be in effect and they had him sign a Waiver to allow children to get medical info regarding him.

Feel free to address me in open forum as I rarely check my inbox - your last message languished there for months - I do check threads more often.

Everyone thanks for all the tips.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That should read 'she has a way to bypass caller id of her name but not the actual phone number'.

The actual phone number photo would be enough to get a photo of and report harassment.

She knows what she is doing and how to do it.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MMkM View Post
NWGRITS thanks for that tip. That might work but for the fact she would easily buy another phone to call in. She also puts something to bypass the caller id on my phone. Also they have landlines. This comes out of nowhere and now I know to take a photo of the call number on caller id and have some evidence.
I used to have this "Talking Caller ID" unit that plugged in between your phone and the wall. When the phone rang, it would announce the number (or name, if you entered a name associated with a particular number), so if it wasn't someone you wanted to talk to, you could just let it ring.

If it was telemarketing (or your stepmom, etc.) and said, "Number Unavailable," our policy was, we're staying on the couch!

T
Old 09-18-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Man, she puts in some real effort! Wow. I wish I had another piece of advice other than filing a harassment claim with the police. Otherwise, I'm just going to offer you a heaping pile of hugs and an ear whenever you need to vent.