Elderly dad with alcoholic dementia, brother has given up

Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

have hope

My mom was diagnosed with alcohol dementia 5 years ago (at the age of 64) It was a loonnnggg uphill battle, but after trying homecare & many falls (causing bleeding on brain, Hydro cephalus, & broken bones) we were able to get her psychiatrist to declare her incompetent. I am her guardian (never thought I would be ever, let alone at 34 years old!) We were able to get her in the ER during a dangerous binge session (where she actually fell in ER and broke hip) She has been now living in a Care Center for 3 years, who do a good job. It is challenging battling the deep pain of resentment, sorrow, guilt, but I try to focus on my blessings and being grateful...and pray for forgiveness. I reccomend finding a ACOA support group and a dementia support group. Both were helpful to me(havent been in awhile)

Never forget that you are not alone...many of us are on the same journey. I wish you the very best. I write a blog about this at "Caregiving with Grace" the address is: maryjsnustad.wordpress.com