My brother is coming home!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My brother is coming home!

And I can't wait! He's been gone since January studying in Spain. I've kept in touch with him via email, but email isn't the same. I missed terribly being able to call him or visit him when I'm in his part of CA. He's the baby in the family and is usually the life of the party. I am really looking forward to having him home.

The bummer is that his coming home is very close to Father's day AND my dad's birthday. We're all meeting at my dad's on Thursday for dinner to combine all 3 events into one. I'm glad I won't have to make the hour drive more than once this week, but visiting my dad takes a lot of energy out of me. Plus, his wife is a bimbo and I don't feel like listening to her.

Despite having to deal with my dad and his wife- I hope that all of the attention is focused on my brother. Maybe with all of the hype around him my dad's wife will forget to give me the "Sobriety Report". *crosses fingers*
Old 06-12-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad for you hope you have a good time. Don't let your Dad's wife ruin it, just smile and say thanks to whatever "wisdom" she deems necessary to share. And no doubt it will be at the most opportune moment. Practice a bunch of cheery statements that you can brush her off with. Good luck
Old 06-13-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So glad your brother is coming home, I hope it makes things better for everyone.

One of the tricks my therapist taught me when having to endure these types of events is to take people like step-mom and when they talk just imagine the teacher from Charlie Brown cartoons (whah, wheh-whah wah wah....). It is slightly juvenile, but it really helps put a smile on your face when someone who is a complete idiot is running their mouth.

When my mom gets drunk and starts in I just look at her, smile, nod my head, say uh-huh every so often and listen to the wah wah wah voice in my head.

Good luck.

Bill
Old 06-15-2012, 12:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I saw my brother today for the first time in 5 months and I am so happy to see him! He's one of the strong people in my life and I think he always will be. I am grateful for having younger brothers that are fierce protectors of me. It's a comfort.

My dad's wife was no problem. She had a tooth pulled today and was on Vicodin for pain. She was quiet/sleepy the whole time.