Hypervigilance

Old 03-28-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dbh

Hypervigilance

I am hypervigilant in social situations and at work. It is driving me crazy! I know from where it comes. When you are growing up in a dysfunctional home you need to keep your guard up and look for subtle clues that something is wrong. I'm sure my ability to "read" people's moods was a useful skill at one time.

As an adult, it's getting in my way. For the past couple of days at work I've been becoming more and more paranoid that people don't think that I'm doing a good job. I'm worried that others are talking about me. I'm fearing that I did something wrong.

I have received NO ACTUAL feedback that something is wrong. It's a busy time of year and people are pretty stressed. The things that I'm picking up probably have nothing to do with me. Not sure how I can convince myself though.

I remember once reading in a Melody Beattie book how she chooses to assume that people are thinking good thoughts about her unless she hears otherwise.

Haven't quite figured out exactly how to do that just yet.

Thank you for letting me share.

db
Old 03-28-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I am sorry, I do understand. Unfortunately, I believe that we suffer from low self-esteem, and always attempt to keep our guard up... to protect ourselves, we feel like e have to, as, when we were children no one protected us...it becomes a knee jerk reaction.

All I can say is to feed your subconcious mind a positive thought about yourself every night before you go to sleep, feed the same positive thought until your concious mind believes the thought..this program has helped me to overcome some of my bigger issues.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there dbh,

I have the positive affirmation exercises out in photobucket under sober recovery or I can email them to you (send me an IM).

I picked out a few that really applied to me and wrote them on 3 by 5cards.

When I got really stirred up I would work on my breathing and take a minute to read my affirmations.

They really do help change your thought process from neagtive to positive after just a short time.

Hang in there, I am sure you are doing a great job!

Bill