Christmas Eve

Old 12-24-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Christmas Eve

Well it is Christmas Eve and I sit wondering why the family I was born in to is so strange. I have both parents still alive, divorced, and both live within twenty minutes of me. My mother prefers we don't celebrate Christmas. So there is no exchange of gifts, no holiday meal, no nothing. Each Christmas I seem to find myself wondering how she can be so cold and indifferent toward her children.

I'm thinking next Christmas I may take a little trip somewhere and get out of Dodge.

Laurie
Old 12-24-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Laurie,

I know it's hard, my mom is a 40 year alcoholic who lives in the land of denial, you never know which mom you will see when you show up.

Hope you can make some new traditions that don't involve her, please know you will be in my thoughts.

Take care.

Bill
Old 12-24-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My Dad has been that way for years and I know it's really hard. Now he sometimes chooses to participate, and sometimes does not. I decided in my teens that my gift to him would be to honor his wishes and leave him alone for the Holidays. He has softened somewhat, but this year it seemed like a ploy for attention when he refused to come to Thanksgiving dinner. I guess that isn't fair of me to say; I know it's been a very tough year on him too and should be able to understand that he might not have felt like celebrating. But now I'm back in my own home after 5 months away and he called to ask if I was making the 500 mile trip back there for Christmas. Ha! No way, after being gone for so long and taking care of everyone but me, I just need a rest. He seemed to understand that though.

A trip sounds like a good plan for next year. Or would you consider hosting your own celebration for friends and whatever family wants to come? And then just let your Mom choose to come or stay home alone if that's what she wants to do? I started understanding just last year that I'm more than old enough to be in charge of my own planning and if I want to have a great Holiday dinner I can make that happen with or without their help. My parents are getting older and it shouldn't fall to them anymore, anyway. This year I will be celebrating with some friends and some exchange students. I wasn't planning it really, but just got back from the grocery and will have a nice meal for them tomorrow and then we'll play games. I've lowered my expectations to just relaxing alone at home, and the result is that great stuff pops up out of the blue.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Laurie thanks for sharing............Somehow I love Christmas.......now.
I still think of the Christmasses of long Ago.........Father would come in Drunk...after a long day at Work............with a Little Drink Throwen in.

Its a totally Different Situation with my Family.
They never seen Me Drunk........Im 25 years away from the Sauce....TG
Myself and My Lovely Wife Got the Turkey and Other Stuff Ready just awhile ago.
No Thoughts of Alcohol...........just love.
We are having all our Family and there Partners Tomorrow for Dinner.
This is a big Change from the Family of origion.
Mam done her best to make it a Happy Christmas for us all........Different Times.
This Song reminds me of those Drunken Christmasses.........Full of S##t
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrAwK9juhhY
I have some good memories of Christmastime.......I made the Best of it..as a child.
But that does not say that I was unaffected by His Drinking and Drunken Attitude.

There are a lot of sights and sounds of the holiday season that trigger pleasant memories of joyous times that I have had at Christmastime. Here locally, the stores still decorate their windows, some in that classic west of Ireland Christmas style that those who are of my era appreciate. Back in the ‘60s, downtown Castlebar in December was the place to be. Shoppers lined the streets, bells rang, classic Christmas music softly played not only within the walls of each store, but spilled out along the streets of the town......Heres to a Sober Christmas....
Heres wishing you a Very Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 12-25-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Laurie,
Hope you had a good, relaxing, peaceful day today.

Hanna