Well I called the police to get my mom help

Old 09-24-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well I called the police to get my mom help

They cannot do anything unless she is threatening to kill herself. She isn't, she likes drinking too much. I called dept. of human services, left message and called her dr. I don't think there is anything I can do. I think it's up to her now.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You've had a tough time. You've tried all you can. Now, take some time to look after you. Time for some Firecallie TLC.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You've done all you can. You cannot help her if she refuses the help. Unfortunately, it sounds like she doesn't want to change anything, so you have to just accept that and move on. This is just how it is when dealing with alcoholism. Even though she probably is killing herself slowly, she has that right as an adult. You, on the other hand, have the right to decide what you will and will not allow in your life. It's sad, but after everything you've tried to do and nothing changing, it's time to take care of yourself. My heart goes out to you.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel your pain, about 2 years ago I was where you are. I too, called my mothers doctor and reached out to the police, department of human services, etc. Sometimes it's what you need to do for yourself, even though it really doesn't make much difference. You are right, it's entirely up to her. Has been all along and always will be. Try to take care of yourself and keep yourself healthy.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I am sorry. My mother is the primary "A" in my life, been drinking for over 65 years. At one time, she was also hooked on prescript drugs, she was doctor shopping. I called her main doctor told him what was going on, I gave him all the information, he said he would call the other doctors and cut her off, he did. She was to my knowledge off the pills until a couple of months ago, this time I am doing nothing, I am done with all her cr@p.

She is going on 86, I have let her go, I have done all I can do.

Sometimes facing reality is our only option.

Continue to detach, that is all you can do.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just want to acknowledge how hard this is, and to encourage you to take care of you.