Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents
Reload this Page >

Are we being bad and bitter if we don't want to spend time with family?

Are we being bad and bitter if we don't want to spend time with family?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dbh View Post
If he was still drinking or still abusive, I would have had to protect myself first.

I think dealing with elderly parents is difficult and adding on an abusive childhood makes it even worse.

db
I guess I had an easier time with disconnecting with my AD because he truly did not like me or my 3 sibs and my Mom allowed him to be who he was, she joined in with the beatings. So it was not hard to walk away from that. And what happened to him after that I didn't much care because I wasn't involved. Though he was a high functioning daily drunk and always took care of business. I did see my Mom a lot after my Dad died, but it wore thin after 15 years. She never took any responsibility and was really evil hearted gossiping about family members that took care of her a lot. She even tried to manipulate me telling I was the best now. Ha, like I cared to finally get her evil approval.

But we are better than them and do what we can if it doesn't hurt us. Protect yourself.