relationship????

Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

relationship????

my mother is an alocoholic, my father is not; my mom doesn't think anything is wrong; my dad "doesn't want to start trouble", even though there is constantly trouble, he just chooses not to deal with it; my dad has said that he's selfish, he likes to drink, he likes to go out drinking, which is why he won't tell my mom to stop; they fight all the time, always because she's drunk; can they actually have a healthy relationship? is it possible for my mom to stop if my dad keeps drinking around her and taking her out to concerts and bars?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello traceyz

Originally Posted by traceyz View Post
... they fight all the time, always because she's drunk; can they actually have a healthy relationship? is it possible for my mom to stop if my dad keeps drinking around her ...
Sure. Millions of people quit drinking every year thru the help of many different programs. AA has the most notoriety, but there's others.

A different question is what _you_ can do to help them in that process. On another thread you mentioned that you have not yet made it to a meeting of al-anon. It's a wonderful program with piles of books filled with suggestions for helping a loved one who drinks. It took me three tries before I made it past the parking lot and into the meeting, and I've loved it ever since.

Have you browsed around the forum "next door" http://soberrecovery.com/forums/frie...ly-alcoholics/ ? There's a lot of good information there in the "sticky" posts at the top. See if any of that is useful for you.

Mike