feeling overwelmed and need to vent

Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feeling overwelmed and need to vent

Hello everyone
new to this site as of two days ago long story short i was looking for some help for a friend of mine and it came to my attention after taking a look at the ACoA website that i am also in need of some help/support.
I guess i wasnt expecting it to fit me so well. It looked like the signs and laundry list was written about me and i dont like it, but feel it is in my best interest to not ignore it. I hate being hit in the face with the unexpected.
Is there a way to start out slowly or do i need to jump in full force? I wish i would have known about this twenty years ago. There is a part of me that just doesnt want to deal with this. But i know that i need to
thanks for listening to me vent
Old 07-20-2011, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Rockitman, and welcome to SR! By the way, love the picture of the gorgeous chow! I had a Newfoundland/chow mix that I lost at the age of 15 last November.

I understand the feelings of being overwhelmed. I never dreamed I fit into the ACOA category because neither parent is alcoholic, but I can assure you the characteristics are there. I'm currently in therapy to deal with a lot of those issues.

I hope you stick around, continue to read, and post! Know that you are among friends!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Rockit Man.........Yes the revelation is exciting,at that point it stops,
Work has to then be done to Rescue the Inner Child from the Clutches of the Critical Parent inside us.
The dark shadow of the Ego protected me from going Man..........when I was Young.
It covered up the Sensitive Inner Child from the Madness that was going on in our house.
There are times that the Ego queries this and says ........it was not that bad.
I know better..............My sore gut and Constant Anxiety tell me Different.

Im Re Parenting myself as best I can.........following the Program.

Been Calm Assertive........Takes Time.
Good luck to you.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dbh

Thanks for posting Rockitman.

A desire to find something that could help my brother first lead me to ACA :-)

I think I always knew that I had ACA traits, but after many years I finally decided to see whether a 12-step program could help. I had pretty much tried everything else, including throwing myself into work, grad school, bad relationships, and family dramas.

Working "my program" and going to therapy has made positive difference in my life.

When I first started I remember wanting someone to tell me what to do. I found that people were willing to share their own ESH (experience, strength, and hope) and simply encouraged me to "keep coming back".

My recovery program has included going to face to face meetings, participating in on-line forums, reading the Big Red Book and working through the ACA yellow workbook (available at Welcome to Adult Children of Alcoholics - World Service Organization, Inc.), and spending a bit of time each morning meditating on a recovery reading. Two books that I absolutely love for daily readings are "The Language of Letting Go" by Melody Beattie and "Courage to Change" by The Al-Anon Family Group.

Best wishes as you start your recovery journey!

Keep coming back ;-)

db
Old 07-20-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support
i was just not expecting to work on me right now. But as the old saying goes theres a reason for everything right? So im trying to look at it as a positive thing.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

RM,

No better place to vent than here, take your time, wade in slow, I come to visit in bursts when I to need a place to vent or some propping up.

Most people don't understand what we go through that's why we come here.

Just know you are always welcome, you can say anything, people here will understand because they have walked the same rocky path.

Hang in there.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
.... It looked like the signs and laundry list was written about me and i dont like it, but feel it is in my best interest to not ignore it. I hate being hit in the face with the unexpected.
Is there a way to start out slowly or do i need to jump in full force? I wish i would have known about this twenty years ago. There is a part of me that just doesnt want to deal with this. But i know that i need to
thanks for listening to me vent
I wish I was willing or known enough to put an 'alcoholic' label on many family members 20 years ago let alone have a site/group like this.