do you agree with this advice

Old 06-19-2011, 03:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

do you agree with this advice

i was once told that by talking about something we dwell on it. would you agree or not?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dbh

Prior to recovery, I would dwell on my past. I often felt sorry for myself, for the childhood that I had, and for the bad decisions I continued to make. When I talked about my past, it was more to complain about it. It gave me an excuse to not expect anything better.

While in recovery, I share about my past with people who understand. When I share, people do not judge, offer advice, try to fix me, or have pity. They listen, nod, and tell me they can relate. This type of sharing is helping me release my past and move forward.

So I guess I agree and disagree :-)

Thank you for letting me share.

db
Old 06-19-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

dbh i was glad to read your posting thankyou for the share i can relate. im reading a book at the moment on children of alcoholics
Old 06-19-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Talking about something means that it has lingered in our minds, so yes--we have dwelled on it. It is up to us to decide whether we can get it out and then no longer allow it to take up space within us, or not. Something I read once suggested setting a specific time for worrying and dwelling on things, and then not doing it for the rest of the day. Therapy is good for this because it is a set hour or so for figuring things out. Meetings help with this too.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Sharing in meetings was good for me. However, I had to learn that once I closed the meeting door behind me, not to dwell on the topic. Shut the door and leave it at that.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thats pretty interesting dolly. I have given thought to the idea of "scheduling in" recovery time. Most days i seem to give alot of time to recovery books etc. I am [g-d willing] going to my third AA meeting tomorrow though